Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
new to fantasy and looked through the rule book but cant find the understanding for the different weapon specs in units e.g.
What is the difference between going for the different weapon loadouts:
- hand weapon and shield
- long weapon (spear) and shield
- great weapon
I understand that the shield adds +1 to the armor save of a unit (does that mean my lizardman army will ge thte 5+ scaly skin and add+1 to the bonus making it a +4 save?)
As from my understanding you dont get bonus attacks for charging into combat, or for having an additional cc weapon..so how does it work, have read the combat phase bit but does not make sense...so just want a simple english explanation that a 40K player will understand.
Dont' worry about it mate. We all have to start somewhere =)
First: You have the shield rule correct - it adds 1 to your armour save, and makes your saurus warriors AS 4+
- Hand weapon and shield: This combination gives you a chance to parry incoming attacks. This parry save is infact a WARD save on a 6+. So you take your normal armour save, and then the parry save. This does only work for models on foot by the way, and not when fighting stuff to the flank or rear.
- Spear and shield: Here the shield only gives the + to armour save. So NO parry save. The spear makes your guys able to reach over and around each other, so you can fight in an EXTRA RANK.
If you are mounted you don't get an extra rank, but instead get a +1 bonus to your strength on the turn you charge if armed with a spear.
- Great weapon: This weapon makes you hit much harder, but very slow. You get +2 to your strength BUT you also get the rule ALWAYS STRIKE LAST.
- The extra hand weaon: This gives you +1 to your attack.
You can find the rules for weapons on pages 88-91.
wicked thanks for the clarification.
So i think with S4 warriors that either the extra rank or parry will be awesome.
The combat section doesn't give a very good understanding on weapon types, but there is a two page spread which gives the weapon specifications very clearly with the stats and a paragraph at the beginning of the section explaining the ward save from parrying.
As the parry save is 6+ it's not necessarily the most stable investment, but the +1 to the armour save can make a hell of a difference.
Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan