Look out sir against spells with no save - clarification sought - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look out sir against spells with no save - clarification sought

I have read the BRB and the FAQ as well as searching through the forum here. I just want to be 100% sure because the rules seem to contradict themselves.

Is the look out sir rule considered a save? The FAQ says the look out sir rule applies against all spells that use templates. The spells in the BRB (such as pit of shades or dwellers below) say no save of any kind.

In a recent game my opponent playing warriors of choas killed my slann with the pit of shades. We ruled at the time that look out sir did not apply because we were not sure. We have both researched it since then and now think it should apply but I am interested in what others have to say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it works like the Collar of Shapesh to be honest with you. It's not really a save, but it transfers it to another model.

Not sure it would work with Dweller though. That doesn't use a template
    "My Word is Iron"
    "Show me your Friends, and I'll show you your Future"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

it counted as a save in every game i have ever played. and every one at my local GW plays it as a save, But your right its not a very clear rule will have to check the FAQ.

After jumping to the FAQ on the gw site http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...ebook_V1_2.pdf
    this was the only referance i could find to look out sir so i would have to say NO! its not a save and we have been playing it wrong

Q: Does the ‘Look Out Sir’ special rule apply against all spells that
    use templates? (p93)
    A: Yes.

from the above i would assume I test Failed by unit champ/hero/lord then R&F and thinks Oh god here we go that dumb Shmuck aint move *insert dramactic slow motion* Jumps at the Said Ijit pushing them out of the way of the Giant hole in the groound and dropping themselves to doom.

hope that helps

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow this is huge for that darn purple sun spell that keeps killing my Slann. It seems if a template covers the whole unit, (IE 5" tmeplate) everyone would be hit. I never thought the champion and the slann would get a Look out Sir role. who is taking his place? or do the hits just not count.

For example I have a unit of 10 guys left with my slann. template covers all of them. who takes the place of the slann and champion, if i pass the LOS roll, since everyone else is already getting hit? do those hits just get negated?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

No, then the units are going to get hit anyway, therefore you have no units to move your character/champion out of the way, therefore you can't make a LOS roll.

Unless you have another unit within 3'' of your character/champion.
    Last edited by Lasso290391; December 16th, 2010 at 12:02. Reason: slight oversight
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

you'd need soem one who wasnt hit by it in the first place to push him out of the way or at least some one who passed their I check in first place

your Example 10x TG + Slann hit by PoDoom

thats 11 I checks you roll the slann seperate as hes a lord say 1 black dice 10 red (all need to roll a 1 to servive)

10 red roll up 4 ones 2 sixes 2 threes and 1 five the black dice rolls a 4

you now take the 2+ LoS with one of the four who passed their I check Rolling a five so you loose 7 TG but the rest are fine.

how ever if all the TG roll too high then no one is there to push the slann to safty.

thats my take on it after reading the FAQ and re-reading the rule book

again hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. It would seem that we agree it should apply based on the FAQ.
    Temujin - I didn't even look to see if the dwellors used a template I just noticed the no save as I was looking through it.
    Thanks again all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

You get your look out sir roll even if all the other members of the unit are hit as well. There are no addendums to the rule. As long as you have 5 or more rank and file models, take your roll. There is nothing preventing this. Just like if a unit of 5 spearmen take ten wounds from an enemy attacking them. The wounds don't transfer on to any character in the unit (the champ yes but this is spelled out). Same for look out sir, just causing an extra hit on the unit.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

"There are two types of saving throws, armour saves and ward saves" -41
    If LoS would have been a saving throw aswell, there would have been a whole set of new rules needed, to make it work instead of- or side by side with the other saves.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that if 10 Temple Guard with FC get hit and one Slann, the Slann and the Champion will first take a LOS and if it succeeds the other 9 temple guard must take 11 initiative tests, obviously only 9 could die

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast