Pit of shades and Initiative tests and artillary dice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pit of shades and Initiative tests and artillary dice

Just played a Christmas eve 3 way battle (Skaven vs High Elves vs Lizardmen) and I cast pit of shades on a unit of clan rats. Now it says infantry and generally infantry have an initiative lower then 6. So i was wondering how do you do the initiative check? What we did was roll lower then the initiative on 1 D6. I figured the higher the I the better, so it would make sense to roll under the I.

Is this right? Im a little confused. Also with the Wind mortar thing (or was it the other one?) that has artillary dice for range. Do you role the artillary dice and if you say roll a 10 you get 10" range? Or do you place the small blast template on a unit then scatter it the amount of inches the artillary dice was rolled at? I figured since it says on other rules "Scatter 2d6" " that you place the template, roll for BS then roll the artillary dice and scatter it that many inches? (of course we were rolling the direction dice as well).

And incase you were wondering what happened? Hehhehe, It was a simple 1000pts battler with some modified house rules for 3 way battle. I ended up slaughtering the 2 units of clan rats with a unit of 10 SMs. I got some my White lions merdered by some scaven magic (i lost 5 in the first round) but then they made a huge come back to slaughter another unit of clan rats. In the meantime, the lizardmen were using a Steg with a Howdah Bow and killing my LSGs, and they managed to get a well placed hit on my archemage... . LSGs put up a killer stand and shoot, fared well in combat against a unit of 20 suaras warriors and got the sauras to flee in the second round of combat. After that the Skaven were done for but i had a Steg and 1 unit of skinks, and 1 more unit of Sauras warriors to contend with. I got to the steg and my guys were just to week after beating down the skaven to do any real damage. Fun though

Merry Christmas as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I believe the rules say a 6 is always a fail for stat tests.

The vortex section also says about how to place and scatter templates, it's from the caster with the template against the base.
    Fantasy: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Beastmen and Tomb Kings.
    40k: Tyranids
    LotR: Misty Mountains and Rohan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ddav6108 View Post
    Just played a Christmas eve 3 way battle (Skaven vs High Elves vs Lizardmen) and I cast pit of shades on a unit of clan rats. Now it says infantry and generally infantry have an initiative lower then 6. So i was wondering how do you do the initiative check? What we did was roll lower then the initiative on 1 D6. I figured the higher the I the better, so it would make sense to roll under the I.
    You did it correctly. Characteristic tests are discussed on page 10 of the BRB.

Also with the Wind mortar thing (or was it the other one?) that has artillary dice for range. Do you role the artillary dice and if you say roll a 10 you get 10" range? Or do you place the small blast template on a unit then scatter it the amount of inches the artillary dice was rolled at? I figured since it says on other rules "Scatter 2d6" " that you place the template, roll for BS then roll the artillary dice and scatter it that many inches? (of course we were rolling the direction dice as well).
    A little confused about which weapon you are talking about here. The warpfire thrower uses a flame template, and travels an artillery die in inches in the direction pointed. No scatter or BS is rolled. The poison wind mortar uses the small template which is place anywhere within range. Then scatters an artillery die in the direction indicated by the direction die. If the unit was firing the weapon using the parent units LOS then it will scatter the artillery die x2. It doesn't use BS either.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    SirKently
    They did the initiative tests almost correctly. When taking characteristic tests like an initiative test you roll equal or lower to your initiative and a 6 always fails regardless of the initiative of the model. If you had to roll under your initiative my Initiative 2 dwarfs would be even more screwed by pit of shades & purple sun than they are now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! This really cleared it up. Just one more question, the artillary dice count as both the direction dice and the other dice with inches and miss fire?

Cheers guys! Happy gaming

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

The artillery dice is the dice with 2,4,6,8,10 and misfire. The scatterdice is the dice with Hit and arrows for direction.

The warpfire thrower weapon team uses only the artillery dice. Plase the teardrop shaped template at the front of the base, roll the artillery dice and move the template the distance shown on the artillery dice in inches, or consult the misfire chart if the dice rolls a misfire.

The poisoned wind mortar can place the small round template anywhere within it's range ( 24" I believe ), then roll the scatter and artillery dice to determine where the template ends up. For misfires consult the misfire chart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! Thanks, I owe you!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ddav6108 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks, I owe you!
    That's what rep buttons are for ^^ ( small star at the buttom of posts next to 'blog this post' ). As you're new on the forum It can't hurt to show ( and blatantly request rep ). Good and/or helpful posts are worthy of a little reward. I mean that in general, not specifically for my post.

+ Reply to Thread