Characters holding off entire units due to challenge? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Characters holding off entire units due to challenge?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to query a situation which has come up for us a couple of times already.

If a unit with a single rank led by a character (5 knights plus mounted hero for instance) is attacked in its flank and a challenge ensues, what happens? My understanding is that the character is moved to the end of the rank in order to be in base contact with the challenger. He is then the only model in base contact with the unit but cannot be the target of attacks because he's involved in a challenge. Does this mean the attacking unit is now unable to harm the unit because the character is in the way?

In any case the attacker would clearly lose supporting attacks because the BRB states they can only be made against models in base contact with the model in the front rank, but in this case the character is excluded because he's in a challenge.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Basically, yes.

It's one of those little hiccups that has always been in the rules.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Just to add on to Rork's answer, from your description the character wasn't on the side to begin with. Now in that case, you have to decide to move him to the end using the "make way" rule. If you choose not to, no challenge can be issued as there is nobody on the end to accept. If you decided to move him to the end, then a challenge can be issued and accepted.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Actually.. page 102.

To accept a challenge the requirement is that the unit the character is in, is in basecontact with the unit containing the issuer of the challenge. The character does not have to be in basecontact with an enemy to accept or issue a challenge, just be part of a unit that is in basecontact with an enemy.

Under "fighting a challenge" it says that after accepting the challenge, you move the characters into basecontact with eachother.

So you can issue a challenge even if the character who accepts is not in basecontact with any enemy. It is not required to use a 'make way' move first to accomplish this because moving the characters is in the challenge rules.

And I've used it once or twice to use my dwarf lord on shieldbearers ( a 40mm wide base ) to block a large portion of enemy attacks. It's a handy trick.

+ Reply to Thread