Magic weapons gain mundane bonus/restrictions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic weapons gain mundane bonus/restrictions

From the evidence I see, it appears the RAR and RAI both indicate a MAJOR shift in magic weapons rules to include the mundane bonuses and restrictions.

I note that the rule removing the mundane effects that has been present in previous editions (including 7th) is NOT present in 8th edition.Without the rule specifically removing the mundane characteristics of magic items and the passage quoted below found on page 501, it seems the magic weapons do gain the bonuses and restrictions of the mundane weapon type.

P 501: "Unless otherwise stated, a magic weapon is treated as a hand weapon." Therefore, if the entry "otherwise" states "Counts as Two Hand Weapons" the wielder gains the magical effects and +1 attack but cannot use a shield in close combat. Spears and lances would follow suit as would Wood Elf magic bows (as longbows for range), etc.

Rageth's Wildfire Blades (Wood Elves) have "Counts as two hand weapons" in the profile and should grant the benefits/restrictions of an extra hand weapon (+1 Attack and Requires Two Hands) in addition to magical flaming attacks. Similarly, the Dawnspear says "Counts as a Spear." In previous WFB editions, the magic weapons rules specifically called for the mundane bonuses to be ignored. That is gone and "counts as" or simply "Spear," etc. now truly counts as the weapon type with the magic bonus.

It appears there is an important change in magic weapons rules. Unfortunately, no FAQ has addressed it specifically that I recall. Show me where I am wrong if I am just way off on this.

Of course an issue arises in the mundane entry for spears and lances as the normal rules state those type weapons are only used in the first round of combat by mounted models and a hand weapons used thereafter. Do our characters really want to throw down that nice shiny magic spear/lance and whip out their swords and daggers? To complicate matters, the magic weapon rules that say magic weapons are always used over mundane weapons if there is a choice. Perhaps an FAQ is in order GW to clarify?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, that is huge. On another note, if you have a magic weapon, say, Gold Sigil Sword and a hand weapon, do you get the bonus of 2x hand weapons since they both "count as" hand weapons?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

No you need a magic weapon that counts as 2 hand weapons to get the bonus. Magical can't pair with non magical.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

if im not getting to whatever you are trying to point out, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Singaliel View Post
    p. 501: "Unless otherwise stated, a magic weapon is treated as a hand weapon." Therefore, if the entry "otherwise" states "Counts as Two Hand Weapons" the wielder gains the magical effects and +1 attack but cannot use a shield in close combat. Spears and lances would follow suit as would Wood Elf magic bows (as longbows for range), etc.

The Dawnspear says "Counts as a Spear." In previous WFB editions, the magic weapons rules specifically called for the mundane bonuses to be ignored. That is gone and "counts as" or simply "Spear," etc. now truly counts as the weapon type with the magic bonus.

I don't see this as different from in 7th. The rule was very specific that a weapontype was ignored UNLESS it had something in it's text such as 'counts as spear', which is exactly as it is in the new book. Because of that rule the magic lances in Brett book for example, were not actual lances, instead it said '+2S on charge' in adittion to it's rules.

How a wood elf magic spear is treated on a mount, i do not know. The spear rule seems to contradict the 'allways use the magic weapon' rule
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

+ Reply to Thread