Question about spell failure - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about spell failure

Alright as a group several of my friends in this game have an issue with when exactly a spellcaster 'loses concentration' and can no longer cast another spell. According to the rules bible, it seems that anytime a spell fails, the magic phase pretty much ends because the caster cannot cast any further spells.

But if that's the case, why specify that an unmodified 1 or 2 on a roll is an automatic failure?

Example: A spell requires a 10+ to be cast. My level two sorcerer uses three dice and awesome luck, rolls a 3,2,2.. plus the additional 2 for his level only equals 9. Of course he cannot try that same spell again, but can he try another spell, or is his magic phase completely over?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

If the sorcerer fails the roll once by rolling a total of 1 or 2 he cannot use anymore magic for the remainder of the magic phase, but if you happen to have another sorcerer he CAN. And if he fails to cast a spell like you describe the same thing happens, he cannot use anymore magic, however other sorcerers you have can.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct about broken concentration and that the caster is no longer able to cast that round, but the rule book does not state anything about the magic phase ending, that being said you can use your power dice with another caster/bound items.

ie. if my slann mage-priest (lvl4) caster fails a roll/dispell he is no longer allowed to cast that round (this does not include bound spell) my round is not over, I can cast from my skink priest or dispell from my army if there are any remain in play spells out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

There are some spells with a casting value of 5, which a lvl4 Mage would otherwise cast automatically - it stops you spamming low level spells with only one dice.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys, it's not going to make some other guys in my crew happy, but rules is rules.

+ Reply to Thread