Ward SAVES- Shields and Magic Items - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ward SAVES- Shields and Magic Items

i begin by apologising if this crops up somewhere else but i looked through the first 3 pages of threads and the errata and couldnt find it

does the CC wardsave of 6+ convayed by handweapon and shield stack with magic item ward saves such as amulet of preservation's 4+ making it a 3+ or is it the higher save you pick
    ...i wasn't sure if they stacked like armour values

thats about it for the question

please advice ^^...my orc warboss needs to know he is safe-er, so he can sleep at night

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Ward Saves do not stack without a special rule, such as WoC's Mark of Tzeentch.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me get this straight?

I was under the impression that the shield offered a parry save... So my unit of Swordsmen don't and cannot have 5+ armor 5+ Regen and 6+ Parry??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

You may have misunderstood what the OP meant by "stacking saves". He was referring to stacking ward saves like how all pieces of armor stack.

You do get the hand weapon and shield "parry save" against attacks from the front in combat. You can have this in conjunction with an armor save and Regeneration.

You just may not take both a ward save and Regen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    You may have misunderstood what the OP meant by "stacking saves". He was referring to stacking ward saves like how all pieces of armor stack.

You do get the hand weapon and shield "parry save" against attacks from the front in combat. You can have this in conjunction with an armor save and Regeneration.

You just may not take both a ward save and Regen.
    You cannot have a Parry and a regen save.
    You can only have the armour save and one other save (parry, other ward or regen)
    Parry save's are counted as a ward save
    pg 88 of the rulebook, under 'Parry Save' ...with a hand weapon and a shield then he has a 6+ ward save, ... '
    pg 74 of the rulebook, under 'Regeneration' ..permitted a special regeneration saving throw after it has failed any armour save it may have, instead of taking a ward save (if it has one). If a model has both a ward save and Regeneration, you must choose which save is used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

443 (x8)

Read again very carefully, ashen. "Having" and "using" are not the same thing.

You may have any number of saves. Some may not be used together.

You may have both a Regen and a ward save such as parry. They just may not both be used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by psichotykwyrm View Post
    Read again very carefully, ashen. "Having" and "using" are not the same thing.

You may have any number of saves. Some may not be used together.

You may have both a Regen and a ward save such as parry. They just may not both be used.

Thank you for the advice but I believe my reading skills are of sufficient quality that I have no need to re-read your post, carefully or otherwise.

From reading Sajek's post it is obvious (again, no 'carefull read' required) that Sajek was not fully aware of the rules around combining saves, and, more specifically, was not aware that a parry save is counted as a ward save under the Warhammer rules.
    Your reply did not point out these facts and so Sajek would be left under the impression that parry's and ward's are seperate types of save.
    I'm sure that the vast majority of Warhammer players would agree that by saying 'you may have a Ward save and a parry save' you are implying that it is possible to take both types of save against the same attack. Yes, I know if the grammar police come calling they would rule otherwise, but, in reality most people do not actually talk like 1950's School Grammar master's.

A simple reply of 'I'm sorry, it seems my post has been misunderstood, my intent was to say that it is possible to have multiple ward/regen/parry saves but only one of these three may be used against any one attack.' would have explained the situation completely and not included the borderline insulting first line of your actual reply.

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

I'm pretty sure psichotykwyrm didn't write that with an insulting tone, that was certainly not how I read it, let's not get hung up over wording or anything else like that. Just page reference in the rulebooks and people can figure it out for themselves 90% of the time since it's the official ruling and not worded by one of us, if they still have questions, we can all do our best to help them later on.

Argue your views/definitions/opinions clearly and concisely, don't get bogged down in sassing one another.

With text it's easy to misread and interpret things especially with something as complicated as wording for rules of tabletop games, make sure you're expressing what you want to say clearly and effectively.
    Last edited by Cannibal God; April 28th, 2011 at 17:01.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, sorry for hijacking your post....

Second, thanks for helping me better understand the rules around saves.

However, since we're on the the topic I just wanted to clarify. Magic Resistance would stack with the 6+ Parry save since it counts as a ward save same as it would with a 5+ regeneration save but only stacking against damage caused by spells of course.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sajek View Post
    Magic Resistance would stack with the 6+ Parry save since it counts as a ward save same as it would with a 5+ regeneration save but only stacking against damage caused by spells of course.
    The parry save is only available against close combat attacks from the front. So it does not improve saves against magic spells.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast