Templates, which is more official? two seperate template sets are out there. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Templates, which is more official? two seperate template sets are out there.

In the rule book it gives you a page to photocopy and then cut out for templates, or you can purchase a pack of plastic official games workshop templates. at first you would think they were the same because they have the same diameter, but they are not the same. The center hole in the plastic templates are larger then the center hole in the photocopyable templates in the rule book. That wouldn't matter except the center hole is important for stone throwers, were if the center hole is over the base of a model it takes a str 10 hit with multi wounds instead of the Str 5 hit if your base is just under the template and not under the hole in the center of the template. Most people don't think about it, but this could be a very valid game changer in a close battle.

So which is more official the size of the center hole in the template in the main rule book, or the size of the center hole in the plastic template?

Squats may be a bad word to most 40k players but maybe demiurg might not be to different when they finally arrive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I just had a look at the templates and your right, the holes in the rulebook templates have a diameter 1mm smaller than the plastic ones and the outer diameter of the plastic template is about 1mm larger than the rulebook templates.
    I would guess that whoever drew the pictures in the rulebook placed a plastic template on the page and drew around it.
    The difference in size is so small that i wouldn't think it would have any impact on the game.
    Every time we make a measurement in the game we probably lose a whole lot more than this. Can you honestly say, when you measure your firing distance and place the template, that you are placing it accuratly to the mm?
    When holding the template over a unit to decide who is hit, unless the unit is pretty much on the table edge, you will be looking down at an angle, this will cause discrepancies greater than those caused by the mis-match in template sizes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashen1973 View Post
    I just had a look at the templates and your right, the holes in the rulebook templates have a diameter 1mm smaller than the plastic ones and the outer diameter of the plastic template is about 1mm larger than the rulebook templates.
    I would guess that whoever drew the pictures in the rulebook placed a plastic template on the page and drew around it.
    The difference in size is so small that i wouldn't think it would have any impact on the game.
    Every time we make a measurement in the game we probably lose a whole lot more than this. Can you honestly say, when you measure your firing distance and place the template, that you are placing it accuratly to the mm?
    When holding the template over a unit to decide who is hit, unless the unit is pretty much on the table edge, you will be looking down at an angle, this will cause discrepancies greater than those caused by the mis-match in template sizes.
    Well I know a few really @N@[ players who are real sticklers on the rules and take every little advantage they can to help guarantee a win, and since they all Play official games, they sometimes makes playing games workshop games no longer fun. They have every Q&A for every Games Workshop game... It took me forever a few years back to find the Q&A one player keep holding over my head saying I was using an army incorrectly, and he made me not use units like they were suppose to. After about 7 months I was able to find the Q&A that the player was using to defeat me, it was a Q&A from the previous edition and actually was for the army list in the old 4th edition 40K book, even though I was using the rules from the codex and not the actual invalid rules the Q&A was referring too. When I pointed out the Q&A he was quoting was obsolete he got very pissed off and he pretty much started calling me a rule lawyer even though I was just using rules from the codex, and the rules from the most current Q&A. It wouldn't of bothered me that much other then he actually was an local Games workshop official rule boy. I lost all respect for Rules boys ever since I found that out.
    Squats may be a bad word to most 40k players but maybe demiurg might not be to different when they finally arrive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosSquat79 View Post
    Well I know a few really @N@[ players who are real sticklers on the rules and take every little advantage they can to help guarantee a win, and since they all Play official games, they sometimes makes playing games workshop games no longer fun. They have every Q&A for every Games Workshop game... It took me forever a few years back to find the Q&A one player keep holding over my head saying I was using an army incorrectly, and he made me not use units like they were suppose to. After about 7 months I was able to find the Q&A that the player was using to defeat me, it was a Q&A from the previous edition and actually was for the army list in the old 4th edition 40K book, even though I was using the rules from the codex and not the actual invalid rules the Q&A was referring too. When I pointed out the Q&A he was quoting was obsolete he got very pissed off and he pretty much started calling me a rule lawyer even though I was just using rules from the codex, and the rules from the most current Q&A. It wouldn't of bothered me that much other then he actually was an local Games workshop official rule boy. I lost all respect for Rules boys ever since I found that out.
    but what does dat matter in this question?
    ashen is right, your measuring skills are of bigger importance than the size of the small hole.
    Besides that, the rules speciffically say that you can only hit a single model.

I don't think the difference is significant. A photocopied version that isn't properly cut out will also give some differences like this.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I know only one model can be under the center...I mean I don't know how the difference could be used to take advantage. I am not a stickler of the rule to the point... I normally glance take and take a quick count, and then ask my opponent what he sees, if they guess is close to what I counted I take their number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I know only one model can be under the center
    that is incorrect. if the template scatters it can actullty be under 4 models
    an army that seeks to fight without the protection of the eagle claws is clearly courageous or inept. either way, í wish no part in it - Eolaran Greyhawk, Seamaster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kingkalle View Post
    that is incorrect. if the template scatters it can actullty be under 4 models
    the centre can be over multiple models, but, only one model takes the high strength hit, whichever model takes it is chosen by random.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashen1973 View Post
    the centre can be over multiple models, but, only one model takes the high strength hit, whichever model takes it is chosen by random.
    The rule book states that if more then one model is under the center hole of a template that the attacker can select which model gets hit by the higher strength but only one model can be hit by the higher strength value.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

The rule book states that if more then one model is under the center hole of a template that the attacker can select which model gets hit by the higher strength but only one model can be hit by the higher strength value.
    from the rulebook, pg115

'....the centre hole may lie over two or more models. Nonetheless, only one can be hit by the higher Strength, so select one randomly.'

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

This guy sounds like a tosser to me. Simple answer - "Don't bother mate - I'll play someone else" - sooner or later if more people treated these power-hungry prats in this manner, they'd get the message.

Can't believe he called you a rules lawyer when it was him waving the Q&A around. What a dick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast