Being in a builing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in a builing

Hi there. Just a quick question to get some peoples views. The fortified manor, with the walled courtyard. Can you sit a unit within the courtyard and not count as being in a building?

I'll give a quick run down of what happened in game.

Fortified manor with te courtyard. I was playing Vamps and put my direwolves into the courtyard. Opponent claimed that they counted as being in the building. (We misread rulebook and thought Warbeasts could not garrisson a building).

So after debating whether the courtyard counts as a 'section' of the building, we just rolled it off, I lost and we decided I couldnt place my unit within the courtyard.

I don't think this is right, is it? As far as I'm concerned it just counts as normal terrain albeit you will be behind walls (bulwarks etc) as described in rulebook as an example. Which even talks about how you can be behind them and enemies suffer -1 to hit etc etc.

But my opponent was under the belief it counts as building, and even if i could have stayd in the courtyard, had he to charge them, the whole 'elect 10 men to fight' would have been used...

Anyone?
    Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Wether that is part of the building or not is something you will have to decide together with your opponent, preferably before the battle.
    If you check the sidenotes on page 129, you'l find that the courtyard is being treated as a set of fences and so is not a garrisonabe building, sounds fair to me, that same text also has homemaderules to allow different building parts to assault eachother, which shows its not really clear-cut rules he's using..
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

If it counts as part of the building or not is something you should decide before the game starts.
    I've never used it myself, but i've seen poeple use it in both ways.

In this case you where late with deciding, and you handled it in the right way.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

A lot of the buildings at my local have a "footprint" of particle board beneath them. We treat that footprint as defining the edges of the building- if you're touching it, you are allowed to garrison the building. If we have the fortified manor on such a footprint, and the footprint includes the fenceworks, then yes, it's part of the building. However, we never did that- we left the fences separate because of that exact dispute- fences are barricades, not buildings.

In your situation, I would say that you should have decided it beforehand, just like you should decide what terrain is impassable or open.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option is to treat it as a multi-part building, as per the rules in the BRB at the end of the Building chapter. This option works quite well for bigger buildings, and can lead to some rather brutal urban-fighting as units work their way through a structure.
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

+ Reply to Thread