Measure any distance and range at any time for any reason...? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measure any distance and range at any time for any reason...?

So I was at a friends' house on Saturday and he did the following in his turn:

Movement Phase - he measured 18 inches from his opponents unit and moved his mounted mage to that point (which was within his Movement range). This was done to ensure that in the Magic Phase, he would be in range of his main spell, which was 18 inches of course.

That seemed ridiculous to me and against the idea of measuring presented in the rulebook.

However, the Errata/FAQ v1.5 clearly states that you can measure any distance and range at any time for any reason.....sheesh!! Really???? I can understand wanting to cast the spell and measuring before doing so to pick a unit that was in range, but this seems crazy.

What do you guys think and sorry if this has already been debated here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Yes sir, gone are the days of getting your hands smacked with nacho cheese fingers and dirty scouls from unwashed teens. You can measure what ever you like before doing so. Personally I like measureing a random distance on an empty spot on the table until they ask what I'm doing and I say,"measuring your patience."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

No issues with it at all. It doesn't make sense to say you can only premeasure certain things but not others and I can't say I've come across anyone who didn't think that was the way to play it even before it got added to the FAQ
    Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

It's only really an issue if only one person can do it. I know a couple of people who keep their cavalry 13" away from the infantry unit they want to hit so they are less likely to get jumped. Just add in a feedback scroll and blow up his wizard next time!

I will say it has changed the dynamic somewhat but it also speeds up playing usually by the time charging comes round most of my units know what they need and so does the opponent.

A

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Davies View Post
    Yes sir, gone are the days of getting your hands smacked with nacho cheese fingers and dirty scouls from unwashed teens. You can measure what ever you like before doing so. Personally I like measureing a random distance on an empty spot on the table until they ask what I'm doing and I say,"measuring your patience."
    Hahaha I like that!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed. I haven't played my friend's Empire army yet since 8th edition came out and he was terrible at guessing ranges for his artillery. SO much for a slight advantage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Yeah I actually like the new rule, it fits in with the whole metagame concept of units knowing more than you do. If you are the 'general' of an army of actual thinking, breathing people/monsters/zombies/whatever, they are probably going to know all about their own capabilities, including how fast they can move in a certain period of time (a turn), how far they should shoot that mortar that they've been training with for 5 years, etc.

Besides, most artillery come with a built-in scatter effect to show that no one is a sniper with those things. But the fact that you had to guess something that your model already "knew" from "years of experience"... yeah, not a fan of that.

That mage has probably cast that spell 100 times in his life, he knows the range he needs. Welcome to 8th edition.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

+ Reply to Thread