Ogre kingdoms Ironblaster Charge reactions and Slaughtermasters with armor. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Ogre kingdoms Ironblaster Charge reactions and Slaughtermasters with armor.

Just 2 quick tidbits of rules I've been seeing float around the web.

First is the Ironblaster. As it is a chariot, and not a warmachine (along with not having Slow to Fire), people are claiming a "Stand and Shoot" charge reaction. Even though (as an OK player) that would be awesome, I don't think it is a valid rule. Yes it technically is RAW, but I think it is a simple oversight. As an OK player I am going to consider it unable to Stand and Shoot until GW FAQs it and gives it direct permission. Thoughts?

Secondly, another RAW. Slaughtermasters may take an ironfist, which is just armor now and not a weapon. This opens up a whole big door for slaughtermasters to start taking great magic armor, as they can take mundane armor. Now I am not sure of the BRB on this, but their reasoning is since he can take the fist, which is now armor, magic armor is able to be taken as well. Can't find the BRB on this so if anyone has some thoughts, please share.

The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

Ironblaster: Since the Ironblaster can move and shoot, you could argue that it has the ability to stand and shoot. Gnoblars are constantly on the move reloading and so on. However, if it is possible to stand and shoot, then that opens up the question of what sort of shot that you are allowed to use. Grapeshot as a charge reaction would be crazy powerful.

Slaughter Master: I don't have my book handy on me to see about these guys. Logic would say if they can take a shield (ironfist), then they could take armour if it was available. I was trying to find where in the BRB it says that wizards can't take armour, but couldn't find it anywhere, could have been looking in the wrong place though.
    May the Dragon of Unhappiness never fly up your bottom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

1. Stated clearly on pg 17, of the WRB, a "stand and shoot" reaction can be made by a unit with a missile weapon. The IB is a chariot troop type, and has the sky-titan cannon, so yes you can.

2. Players are clearly split on this idea, which has spawned some heated arguments around the internet. This is something GW needs to FAQ pronto. As for me, I just slap on the Talisman of Preservation and watch him go! ... with the help of an extra hand weapon and the Earthbound Rod.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as the ironblaster is a chariot, does it get impact hits? im thinking no b/c it doesnt say anything about it, but i might be surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x1)

It does get impact, because its unit type is chariot. It doesn't say it in the ogre book because it says it in the brb. Just like it doesn't say that Ogres get stomp in the ogre book, but they do because they are monsterous infantry, as stated in the brb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by dontfeedjay View Post
    First is the Ironblaster. As it is a chariot, and not a warmachine (along with not having Slow to Fire), people are claiming a "Stand and Shoot" charge reaction. Even though (as an OK player) that would be awesome, I don't think it is a valid rule. Yes it technically is RAW, but I think it is a simple oversight. As an OK player I am going to consider it unable to Stand and Shoot until GW FAQs it and gives it direct permission. Thoughts?
    After reading the BRB and the Ogre book, I disagree with those who posted earlier. The Ironblaster may be a Chariot, but the weapon it is firing does not follow Chariot rules.

The Cannon of the Sky-Titans states that you should "fire the cannon... in the same way as a normal cannon" using its own profile for Range, Strength, Special, and Grapeshot (Ogres, pg. 51). That means you should use the rules for a normal cannon from the BRB, except where superseded.

A normal cannon is a War Machine, meaning it follows the restrictions found in the BRB in regard to shooting with it. Specifically, "unless specified otherwise, all war machines weapons have the Move or Fire and Slow to Fire special rules" (BRB, pg. 109). Now, the Cannon does have Move & Fire, meaning it ignores the Move or Fire rule; however, it still has Slow to Fire meaning it cannot Stand and Shoot.

As for the Impact Hits, the Ironblaster is a Chariot and thus has the Impact Hits special rule, per BRB pg. 86.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x1)

The Ironblaster stand and shoot thing, I think, can be argued from both sides.
    Perhaps we should look at something else similar as a comparison, and that would be the Empire Steam Tank. I don't know much about the STank, but I know it has a cannon. Can that move and shoot? Can it stand and shoot with its cannon?
    Logically, you wouldn't be able to stand and shoot, since no other cannon in the game let's you do that, not even the Leadbelchers.

+ Reply to Thread