Got a few questions that are probably easy for a professional! Please Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

Got a few questions that are probably easy for a professional! Please Help!

Played a 4k point game the other night and it came with a few questions that we could not find answers to in the rules. If you don't know the answer to all of them, please answer the ones you do know! Thank you! Lovin the game so far...!

Okay first question -

Single units in combat - This question came up when my Chaos Knights had a War Hydra in combat. I ended up winning combat by 1, and he broke and was run down. The question is, it seems to us that for a single model large point guy to win combat, he REALLY has to dish out the wounds to get combat resolution points. My knights get a point automatically for a standard, etc. Single models never get that stuff so are at a severe disadvantage out of the get go for CR.

Suppose a 600 point guy riding a dragon is fighting a 300 point horde of Marauders, who are several ranks deep. That dragon has to slaughter quite a few marauders just to get even with the +3 rank bonus, standard, etc to even have a chance of not fleeing. Is this how it is correct or is it different for single models?

Second Question -
    Challenges and single models. I am Chaos so I am forced to challenge. Suppose I have 12 chaos warriors, an exalted hero and a level 2 sorcerer all in one unit. I come up to Morathi in close combat. I am forced to challenge, so I do so. That means that one of my guys fights as the others sit there and watch and do nothing because theres no one left to hit, it was a single model unit. Then the next combat phase, I do the same thing because I have 3 people who can challenge. Do I have to fightt as a single man for 3 turns until I am out of people who can challenge? Seems silly I have to go through 3 combat phases before I get anywhere. Also with the first question, even if Morathi kills the champ, she'll probably lose CR because of my ranks, standard, etc. Even tho Morathi wins her fight, she will lose combat. Seems odd...

Third Question
    - How do we know what is a character? Chaos has to challenge if they have a character or champion that can accept. How do I know which are characters? Are only Heroes and Lords characters? Or would a War Hydra be a character and I have to challenge him singly and let the rest of my army sit back and watch?

Fourth Question
    - Can wizards cast direct damage spells out of combat? For example, my sorcerer is in close combat with a bunch of guys, can he then cast direct damage spells at other units who are NOT in combat? I would think I could not cast a magic missile because that requires Line of Sight, and being in close combat is pretty much going to give me no line of sight. But DD spells, do not require LOS.

That is all for now! Sorry for the lengthy questions but I wanted to make sure I was clear. Thank you for all your help. I don't ever play in the hobby stores so Librarium is my only source for answers to weird problems!

AshBorn

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. You are correct that single model units are terrible against rank and file type things. They are good however to usually hold the front while another unit of yours goes into the flank, or vice versa.

2. Again, single model units are very weak and are only really good against smaller units. But yeah, a challenge is a challenge and is only between the two models.

3. Characters are heroes and lords.

4. I'm not 100% sure but I think the faq states that you cant cast DD spells out of combat.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Thanks for your responses! The first three helped a ton! The last one, made me go read the FAQ and I didn't see an answer...

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AshBorn View Post
    Okay first question -Single units in combat - This question came up when my Chaos Knights had a War Hydra in combat. I ended up winning combat by 1, and he broke and was run down. The question is, it seems to us that for a single model large point guy to win combat, he REALLY has to dish out the wounds to get combat resolution points. My knights get a point automatically for a standard, etc. Single models never get that stuff so are at a severe disadvantage out of the get go for CR.

Suppose a 600 point guy riding a dragon is fighting a 300 point horde of Marauders, who are several ranks deep. That dragon has to slaughter quite a few marauders just to get even with the +3 rank bonus, standard, etc to even have a chance of not fleeing. Is this how it is correct or is it different for single models?
    Single monsters do have a problem breaking units in this edition of the game. Remember though that they have thunderstomp, which can go a long way towards evening up the odds. Also, some have breath weapons, which can do some damage. The stubborn monsters are the best for taking on large units though.

Second Question - Challenges and single models. I am Chaos so I am forced to challenge. Suppose I have 12 chaos warriors, an exalted hero and a level 2 sorcerer all in one unit. I come up to Morathi in close combat. I am forced to challenge, so I do so. That means that one of my guys fights as the others sit there and watch and do nothing because theres no one left to hit, it was a single model unit. Then the next combat phase, I do the same thing because I have 3 people who can challenge. Do I have to fightt as a single man for 3 turns until I am out of people who can challenge? Seems silly I have to go through 3 combat phases before I get anywhere. Also with the first question, even if Morathi kills the champ, she'll probably lose CR because of my ranks, standard, etc. Even tho Morathi wins her fight, she will lose combat. Seems odd...
    You have to fight the challenge until one of the characters is dead. So probably more than three turns. You challenge the first combat round with say the exalted hero. Assuming neither one in the challenge dies, that challenge continues into the next round, assuming no one broke from combat. If you exalted happens to die, you have to challenge with another character and it keeps going. It is one draw back to being WoC. But they need some drawback.

Third Question
    - How do we know what is a character? Chaos has to challenge if they have a character or champion that can accept. How do I know which are characters? Are only Heroes and Lords characters? Or would a War Hydra be a character and I have to challenge him singly and let the rest of my army sit back and watch?
    A character is a lord or hero in your army book. There are also some named unit champions that sort of count. But mostly just the ones you take from the character section.

Fourth Question - Can wizards cast direct damage spells out of combat? For example, my sorcerer is in close combat with a bunch of guys, can he then cast direct damage spells at other units who are NOT in combat? I would think I could not cast a magic missile because that requires Line of Sight, and being in close combat is pretty much going to give me no line of sight. But DD spells, do not require LOS.
    Yes you can cast direct damage out of combat. For prove look at magic missile which specifically says you can't. Direct damage has no such stipulation, so blast away.
    SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Awesome guys thanks! I wasn't expecting answers so quick.

+ Rep for everyone!

+ Reply to Thread