two quickies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: two quickies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two quickies

seems like me and my friend are dominating this area of the forums but came across a few more quick clarification questions for the experts

first, he plays warriors of chaos and his army book doesnt specify he has to pick just one weapon to pay for on his units. His question is if he can choose to pay for multiple weapons and then choose durring each close combat which he wants to use? His specific example is Chaos Warriors. He can pay for an extra weapon, shield, halberd, or great weapon and it doesnt specify choose one so he wants to be able to pay for the extra hand weapon and the great weapon so he can u se the great weapon if we would have to attack after my units anyways due to initative and the extra hand weapon if it would allow him to attack first based on the same test.

second, our small group just branched out and played high elves the first time and noticed one of their items says it forces your oponent to reveal one of the items they have in their army. I do not have that army book infront of me so I probably have the details wrong, but that was the gyst of it. We have never realy considered it and more or less openly told eachother what unique things our characters have as we are going through the game. For example, I will question what his chaos lord has on him as far as his armor save potential, wards, ect before i decide to charge him with my morathi. So the question is raised, when do you have to tell people what items your unit has? When they are in close combat and it becomes imediately relevant only? What about normal equipment? Am i technicaly allowed to ask what armor save his unit has if I am not imediately attacking him? Final example for this, what about casting some of the lore of metal spells like plague of rust if i cant ask what his troops armor saves are normaly how can i determine if the spells worth casting or not and how many dice im willing to throw into the cast?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

First part, sure he can take multiple weapons. Just has to pay the cost.

Second part, any mundane items can be asked about. As in, what kind of armour are they wearing, do they have shields, etc. Magic items don't have to be revealed until they are relevant. Such as when you are getting hit by the weapon, or when they are making a ward save, or a banner is used, etc.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so just to clarify then if he pays the cost he can pick both the great weapon and the aditional handweapon and then choose which one to use each time he enters close combat? can he switch between the two freely between rounds of combat or is there any rules to it?

I guess this is a drawback for dark elves since i just looked through my book to check and the only unit (shades) we get that even has a choice specificly says pick one weapon choice only and even our lords have that stipulation

edit: is this unique to WoC? i looked through my second army (skaven) and they all have the same stipulation - any army that has the ability to choose more than one close weapon has it specificly listed choose one...is he misreading his army book or is it special to them?
    Last edited by Liathaneo; January 7th, 2012 at 04:59.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Liathaneo View Post
    so just to clarify then if he pays the cost he can pick both the great weapon and the aditional handweapon and then choose which one to use each time he enters close combat? can he switch between the two freely between rounds of combat or is there any rules to it?

Yes, some warriors can bring more special weapons and decide which one to use at the start of a combat. There are a few rules concerning the use of those weapons which are on page 88.
    first: You choose at the start of the combat which weapon you use, and you use that weapon every round untill the combat is over.
    second:
    -If you have a magic weapon, you have no choice, you have to use the magic weapon.
    - If you have no magic weapon, then you can choose (one of) your special weapons, such as additional hand weapon or spear/shield.
    - Only if you have no special weapons, then you may use a single hand weapon (+shield). Warriors are trained to use their special weapon and they will use it if they have it.

I guess this is a drawback for dark elves since i just looked through my book to check and the only unit (shades) we get that even has a choice specificly says pick one weapon choice only and even our lords have that stipulation

not a drawback for your elves. it's an advantage for the elite warriors

edit: is this unique to WoC? i looked through my second army (skaven) and they all have the same stipulation - any army that has the ability to choose more than one close weapon has it specificly listed choose one...is he misreading his army book or is it special to them?

There might be other armies with it aswell, but it is special yes.
    Digger
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Liathaneo View Post
    Orcs can do this as well. It is rare though.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks again for the help guys i knew there was a page in the BRB that talked about it just couldnt for the life of me find it I re-read page 88 and think i got it down not happy about it but at least understand it!

+ Reply to Thread