Magic Attacks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magic Attacks?

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

17 (x1)

Magic Attacks?

Hello everyone

I am after some rules help. I am trying to understand what constitutes a magical attack within the scope of the rules. Now I have read the rule book and the faq's online but still I'm a little unclear.

Basically ethereal units can only be harmed by magical attacks. Now I understand that this covers magical weapons, and magic spells. Where I am unsure is with the following. In the book, and basically the faq's it states...

Q: What are ‘
    magical attacks’? (p6
    A: All attacks made by spells and magic items are considered tobe magical attacks, as are all attacks that are specifically noted as being magical attacks. Shots fired from magical items are also considered to be magical attacks, unless their description specifically states otherwise. Hits inflicted by rolls on the
    Miscast table are treated as magical attacks.

Now it clearly says magical items. So my question is do magical banners such as razor standard, banner of eternal flame, dragon hide banner (ogres) dwarven runic standards plus many more count as making attacks with magical items. Cuase these banners augment the fighting and therefore close combat abilities of the units that carry them.

Other interesting ones are the potions - Speed, foolhardiness and strength. Again these are magcial items augmenting the fighting abilities of the user.

Mainly though I am interested in the banners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

utrecht, Holland
    19 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

320 (x8)

just like to point out you wrote ethereal units can only be harmed by magical attacks, which is not true, because they can still be eaten by a giant or something else that just removes a model from play.

about the actual question ,i would argue that a banner doesnt usually cause a wound (except for the ones that actually cause wounds by themselves). instead it would upgrade your unit. Only magic weapons would be the ones causing those wounds. If that makes any sense.
    i could be wrong, but the text in FAQ could refer to items such as Blasphemous amulet (enchanted item-models in base-contact suffer a wound)
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

4 Post(s)
    2 Thread(s)

494 (x8)

I would say the banners do not count towards making attacks magical. Otherwise it should be stated in the description.

I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    I would say the banners do not count towards making attacks magical. Otherwise it should be stated in the description.

Indeed, the oft-quoted example from other forums is the Banner of Hellfire from the 7th ed Vampire Counts book which specifically stated that it granted the unit magical flaming attacks - compare and contrast with the Banner of Eternal Flame from the 8th ed BRB which only states that it grants the unit flaming attacks
    Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

+ Reply to Thread