Forests and LOS/Cover? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forests and LOS/Cover?

I continually run into the same dilemma with every game with my friends and I'm hoping LO can resolve this once and for all for me. If there is a Forest (known or unknown what kind) between my own unit and say an enemy cannon or bolt thrower, can their artillery see me to be able to shoot at me?? We don't have many tree models so he just looks on the table and no matter what he is gonna see a model cuz our forests are twigs essentially.

I do understand some artilery is going to be able to hit me regardless (mortars, doom divers, etc.) but for artillery that requires LOS, can they actually see through forests and shoot at targets without any kind of cover bonus (pertaining to artillery that uses BS) what-so-ever?

Warriors of Chaos > 3,000
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

in general, line of sight is now exactly what you can see when looking from the cannon's muzzle. So if you can see past the trees in that ´forest´ then yes the cannon has sight of the unit behind the forest.

However, when you use ´counts as´ forest items, (such as twigs, boxes, or a green piece of paper), then you should really discuss it with the other player before you guys set up. and can allways 'roll off' if you cant work it out.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in essence you have a "what you see is what you see" rule with that...hmm...looks like I will be making some very dense forests for the terrain for the game table i'm building.. lol
    Warriors of Chaos > 3,000
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Everything can trace a line of sight through a forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRB page 119
    ...Similarly, if a model in a shooting unit has to trace its line of fire through a forest...
    And just for good measure, all artillery requires line of sight.

And in reality a cannon or a bolt thrower actually shoots in much the same way a mortar does(granted not as steep, but still), it shoots above its target. If the cannon/bolt thrower fired directly at its target the projectile would hit the ground far from its target.

Anyhow since crossbowmen are allowed to shoot at targets behind a forest, a bolt thrower should too, since a bolt thrower is essentially just a really big crossbow.
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When firing through a forest, any Artillery that needs to roll against BS to hit, gets a -1 soft cover penalty to hit.

Our group uses the base of the terrain to determine where the cover starts, but TLOS to determine what can be seen. Nothing stopping you using big boccage hedges.

Zutta
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

+ Reply to Thread