Same spell (not sig) cast twice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Same spell (not sig) cast twice

I played a HE army dubbed the "coven of light" it has 4 mages with lore of light which bumps up the strength of the banishment spell to S7. In the army there are two models that have the spell Banishment. He gets it once because he has a seer staff (I think that's the name), that lets him choose his spells, then the second guy gets to roll for spells and gets banishment.

My question is, since the first mage already picked the spell, is the second mage allowed to get it again if he rolls for it?

The rule on choosing spells in the main rule book are somewhat vague (surprise surprise) - they're at the beginning of the lores section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

I don't believe he can take the spell twice.

The only exceptions to this rule would be loremasters.

For example, if Teclis had Banishment, then yes he could still get banishment on another wizard.

No loremaster = no duplicate spells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

p 490

"Ordinarily, each spell can be only known once in the same army. The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly, such as: [...] it has 'bought' a specific spell as a part of army selection."

So, korpacz1, the answer is YES seerstaff allows duplicates

P.S. but remember to actually write down the spells while you create the list
    Last edited by strangejour; May 31st, 2012 at 00:22.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Ahh yep. Especially nice item then! My bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangejour - are you sure your interpretation is right?

The 1st example on that page says the exception is only if the model has no choice, the spell is fixed, or you buy a specific spell. The 2nd example refers to being able to exchange spells. The Seerstaff rules apply to neither of these.

My personal interpretation of this would be that the Light mage with the staff would get to pick his spells, and the other Light mage would have to pick from what was left. The rules specifically mention that if there are any slots left over when all the spells from a lore are taken, the extra slots are lost.

Is there an FAQ that supports your view?

Zutta
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Well I concurred with him solely on this line 'The only exceptions are where a spell is not generated randomly'

Seerstaff is making it so the spells are not generated randomly. Therefore, duplicates can be chosen.

sirKently, WE NEED YOU! I summon thee!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Did someone call my name?

Seerstaff: The bearer may choose his spells, instead of rolling for them at the start of the game.

To me, this means that the spells are chosen as part of army creation. If there was a comma after "them," it would mean they were chosen at the start of the game. I know it is a little picky, especially with GW's penchant for really bad writing, but that is what we have to go with. So if you pick your spells when you make the army, you have bought them as part of army selection, and others can get the same spell.

That is my view.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Wow hey that worked! I'm going to remember that little trick Although I don't think I'll find another virgin to sacrifice for the spell to work for awhile...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Zutta

why, it is the case of model 'buing' spells, what else?

and to me, 'the only exception' doesn't indicate that the exception should work one way only, something like

'oh, if he rolled his spells first he could have then choose what he likes, but he first chose them so he cannot roll a duplicate now'

(sorry i get confused with those what-if-past-tenses)

'the only exception' means that among other cases, the case of 'buing' spells, is excluded from the normal spell generating order, and neither the rulles for rolling apply to the seerstaff, nor the seerstaff's selection is taken into account when other wizards roll for theirs.

and im not so sure as i only analize semantics here, god knows whats GW's line on this

+ Reply to Thread