Liche Priests Incantations - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about the build up my first 1K army (Tomb Kings) with 1 Liche Priest and I have a question about the magic...

According to the Tomb Kings army book a Liche Priest can cast 1 incantation at a power level of 2D6.

My opponent gets 2D6 Dispel dice as standard and if he chooses just a 1. lvl wizard he will get 3D6 dice.

I guess my opponent will dispel most of my incantations since he has 3D6 against my 2D6.
    Is this correct?

I figure a way to get around this is to bring along some arcane items like the Staff of Ravening (fires magic missile) which my opponent has to use a 1D6 dispel die.

Or to bring the Staff of Mastery (+1 to power level)

Do you have another idea how to master the magicfield without getting another priest?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the i read a bit more in the army book...

The Tomb prince can also cast an incantation at 1D6, that helps a bit since I have to field one of those as well

But keep the good ideas coming

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

True your opponent would get three Dispel Dice, but then that's it. You on the other hand get to cast ans many incantations as possible IIRC, so using all dice on one spell will leave him with nothing to stop the others.

Oh and his dispel dice will return to their normal amount in your next magic phase, so once he's used them that's it. No more DD till next turn.

The Magic section of the BRB (rulebook) will explain more of magic - casting and dispelling.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army includes a prince and a priest.

Correct my if I'm wrong:
    A prince can cast 1 incantation 1D6
    A priest can cast 1 incantation 2D6

So I can cast 2 incantations per turn and my opponent can use 1 DD for the prince inc. and 2DD for the priest inc.
    Since the dispel roll only have equal my roll the odds favor my opponent.

Off course I will get spells through but I would like to favor my odds even more

Regards

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Ok looking at the rules, a normal hero level priest will be able to cast one and a lord level high priest two per turn. Lets look at this -

they know all four incan.s

Priest - 1 incan per turn, 2d6 as bound
    H Priest - 2 incans per turn, 3d6 as bound.

Yes using three dice you're opponent will stand a good chance at dispelling your incan's BUT having more than one priest will allow at least two per turn, thus more of a achance getting them through.

And yes the prince gets that incan, also bound items help. Eat up DD making getting those vital incan through easier.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Incantations are a tradeoff for TK: They auto-cast, with no chance of miscasting, which is a huge advantage. Priests know all four spells, and Princes/Kings know two. All Lord characters in the army can cast two spells per round, and all Hero characters one. That's pretty fierce, imo. On the downside, TK spells are weaker, and therefore more easily dispelled.

But think of it this way: the TK exist only because of their magic, and they have a lot more of it than most armies. You always need at least a prince and priest, so you always have at least two spells to cast per turn. Add in a bound item (Staff of Ravening is good for this, it's useful cast and it's useful dispelled), and you'll get two of your three spells off most turns. Give your Heirophant the Heiratic Jar and you can get a third spell off.

The TK book even says that TK spells can't reach the power of other armies spells, but "they are far more reliable and, when relentlessly intoned in unison by several of the Liche Priests, they are almost unstoppable". Their designed to have many spells going off every turn, and work best that way.

Think of it this way: In a 2000pt game, you'll probably have two heroes and a lord. That's four spells, with a total of between 4D6 (priest, prince, king) and 6D6 (priest, prince, high priest). Most enemy armies won't have more than two wizards at that level, so you'll be facing something like 4-6 DD. If you add in the Staff and Jar, you can get 6 spells off in one turn(&#33, and that's something not many armies can counter at that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the liche preist magic is awesome. you cant miscast, and know four spells reguardless of levels. and you may repeat spells. and on top of that, these 4 incantations *****ing rock.

if you carry bound items, then they will soak up some dispel dice. the "my will be done" spells and bound items are used before liche priest magic, and if your opponent decides to dispel all of the early minor magic, then it will give you a big chance to wreak havoc with high liche preists and the casket. that is why the hierarchy is pretty beneficial.

as for items. staff and jar are nice.
    The absence of wrath is an impediment to utilizing your true strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

Also, don't forget other bound items like Enkhil's Kanopi (very useful&#33 and the Banner of the Undying Legion. They are fantastic items and will eat through even more of your opponent's dispel dice!
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

+ Reply to Thread