Magic Standards - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Standards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic standards almost always have an effect on the unit they are in, but do they need to be in the front for the magical effects to take place? I can see the reasoning behind the war banner, but what about others?

I checked the rulebook and all I found is that they have to be in the front rank to grant the +1 to CR, but it didn't say anything about the magical properties.

Therefore, could you hide a BSB in the back ranks and still use his magical effects? You could use the normal unit standard for the +1 CR. Granted, this may be quite a points sink to just hide a character in the back, but it could be worth it in the right situations.

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any normal character hiding away from the front rank (due to challenges), is "useless" too. He's leadership can not be used.
    The same applies to standardbearers, their magic banner will NOT work if they hide.

And you are BTW only allowed to move a character from the front rank if you refuse a challenge, or move to fight at another side of the regiment (in the latter case the banner will still work.)
    Green is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, thanks, that's what I thought happened. Just for reference, do mind giving me a page number?
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry , no page number. But I thought I'd just add that all skaven magical banners work even if they are not in the front rank.
    I kill two dwarves in the morning, I kill two dwarves at night. I kill two dwarves in the afternoon, and then I feel allright. I kill two dwarves in time of peace, and two in time of war. I kill two dwarves before I kill two dwarves, and then I kill two more.

Goblin kroozade of revengyness: win:19 draw:10 loss:9

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Yep Skaven are an acception to this rule, their "Lead from the Rear" rule takes president here. So their magic banners will work from the back ranks. But other than this all magical banners must be in the front rank for their magic to take effect.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But other than this all magical banners must be in the front rank for their magic to take effect.
    Are you sure?

What if the BSB is in a challenge with a hero in a unit at his units flank?
    Will it be useless too then?
    Green is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Calinarion@Feb 8 2005, 11:15
    Are you sure?

What if the BSB is in a challenge with a hero in a unit at his units flank?
    Will it be useless too then?
    [snapback]323675[/snapback]
    BRB, p. 95, "Independent Characters Joining Units", 3rd paragraph:

"As long as the character remains in the back ranks he cannot fight (even with a spear), use magic or magic items, nor can the unit use his Leadership value for tests. In effect, he is out of the game. Only if the character is engaged in close combat (via a flank or rear charge, for example) can he fight back normally."

I don't see anything in the Challenge rules that says "treat a character in a Challenge as though he has moved to the front rank." So, bottom line: if the BSB is not in the front rank, the banner is not working.

Frank in L.A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Frank in L.A.@Feb 8 2005, 18:36
    BRB, p. 95, "Independent Characters Joining Units", 3rd paragraph:

"As long as the character remains in the back ranks he cannot fight (even with a spear), use magic or magic items, nor can the unit use his Leadership value for tests. In effect, he is out of the game. Only if the character is engaged in close combat (via a flank or rear charge, for example) can he fight back normally."

I don't see anything in the Challenge rules that says "treat a character in a Challenge as though he has moved to the front rank." So, bottom line: if the BSB is not in the front rank, the banner is not working.

Frank in L.A.
    [snapback]323691[/snapback]
    yes, but the p.95 is about the case where there is no room for the character in the front rank. And due to that he is moved backwards. And there is a difference between "remains" and "is". If he moves backwards due to challenges he "is" moved back because of the challenge - and that isn't mentioned on p.95.

(It just seems so incredible stupid that a brave generals leadership can not be used because he fights a greater daemon, in the flank of his own unit)
    Green is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that a character must already be in combat in order to issue or accept challenges. So in most cases the whole magic item thing will make sense.
    I kill two dwarves in the morning, I kill two dwarves at night. I kill two dwarves in the afternoon, and then I feel allright. I kill two dwarves in time of peace, and two in time of war. I kill two dwarves before I kill two dwarves, and then I kill two more.

Goblin kroozade of revengyness: win:19 draw:10 loss:9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Colonel_Kraken@Feb 8 2005, 205
    Remember that a character must already be in combat in order to issue or accept challenges. So in most cases the whole magic item thing will make sense.
    [snapback]323743[/snapback]
    Most, but far from all. It is quite common for (greater) daemons to charge the flank of a unit while it is engaged in the front. And a resulting challenge will therefor draw away the characters from the front rank.
    Green is good

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast