Heavens magic (or magic in general) question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Heavens magic (or magic in general) question

I've tried to read specific rules for this and maybe they're there and maybe they arent, I dunno. My point is ever since I've started my friends who can always do pick heavens to some extent in their armies. I can see why a slann would do it, because he's not limited, and high elves usually bring all high and heaven and something else (light my friend picks) but I've always wondered about the way they handle the spells specifically from it. Though none of the spells are magic missles, nor do they have range, do you still need to be able to see your target? I've been in games where their mages started in forests and stayed there because they could cast heavens and would do so without fear because we basically couldnt target them and they always would argue that if it doesnt say it you dont need it. Even if this is so, I've been thinking about how comet works and I think it should resolve differently than the way they do it. They say you stick it out of a unit and cast it, then I try and dispel it and if I fail and it comes down THEN you measure it and push it into a unit etc etc... but why should this be any different than other spells where you see if its in range before you dispel? If you tried with a magic missle or any that had a straight line to target range you'd check before you were forced to dispel right? More likely than not it would hit its intended targets but my point is if it was going to hit a unit with magic resistence wouldnt you get that MR for that unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok basically its right you dont need line of site,

However the rules have changed somewhat, thankfully, the 2 lightning spells, uranons and forked i believe, now have 24" range. The comet now has only S4 while only being a small difference it is a difference.

Im not sure if the way your explaining it is right though
    casting of comet: same as any other spell, (but no line of sight or range) so they pick a spot on the board, place counter. then you roll to dispel, if you fail then at the end of the turn they roll a D6 4+ it goes off, 3 or lower and it grows (add a counter on top of the old counter), then in your magic phase you can use some power dice to try to dispel it (you only need to beat the casting value) and if you fail the roll is made again. this keeps happening until its dispelled (including the reasons involved in 'remains in play') or it goes off, when it goes off the radius of the blast is D6 x the amount of counters.

the magic resistance annoyed me too, you only get it if the unit is specifically target (the counter is placed where the unit is) so basically all they need to do is put it a little to the side!
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Well, I'll be glad to have those changes at the least. Were those offical? Wheres a good spot to find them? As to the comet. Think of it in mechanical terms and in terms of fluff. This is a massive comet forming off in the distance. I assume when it doesnt come down its still gathering mass. Either way its there, it doesnt suddenly gain size from only after its rolled that its coming down. Besides in the description the range is determined from the beginning its just multiplied by the number of markers. I would say just like any other spell that d6 inches counts as its effective "range" and if those initial inches reach into a unit with magic resistance why wouldnt it make sense to get it? Which brings up another question, if a remains in play spell is on a unit with magic resistance, do they add a free dispel die to the attempted on turns your trying to remove it after the first time it was cast?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic Res. units add extra dice that can be used to dispell any spell that effects tham directly even if it is remain in play. Stone trolls can use their extra dice to dispell Curse of ages (for example) even if it wasn't cast this turn.
    What would you do if a Carnifex "meow'ed" at you.

Some pictures of my models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Domstrae
    Well, I'll be glad to have those changes at the least. Were those offical? Wheres a good spot to find them?
    its in the newest annual

Quote Originally Posted by Domstrae
    I would say just like any other spell that d6 inches counts as its effective "range" and if those initial inches reach into a unit with magic resistance why wouldnt it make sense to get it
    this is covered in the same annual in the Q&A it says it has to be cast on them so the counter start on them
    because it is effectively just a spot on the ground, the comet makes the area and the comet isnt there yet, because in theory it could cover the entire army.
    Last edited by grimgor137; June 17th, 2005 at 23:59.
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/magic/1/

Look for the Revised Lores of Magic at the bottom of the page.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

+ Reply to Thread