Librarium Online Forums banner

How do u work out Combat Res?

652 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tzeentch Lord 
#1 ·
sorry if I'm such a noob but none of my friends have ever played with combat resolution (or at least correctly anyhow) and it seems pretty confusing from what Isaw in my friends rulebook. Can someone please explain combat res! like how you get it, bonuses, modifiers, and how it affects Ld.

#2 ·
Combat resolution happens after each separate fight has finished. Whoever has the highest combat resolution score wins the fight, and the losing side must take a break test. This break test is a leadership test, but the leadership of the troops is modified by the difference in the combat resolution (CR) scores.

For example; if side A has a CR of 5 and side B has a CR of 2, then side B has lost and must take a break test, but their leadership will be reduced by 3 (so if their Ld was 8, it would be reduced to 5 for this test).

Now the combat resolution itself, it's quite easy to work out, there's a whole page (p73) about how you can score CR points.
- You get one point for each unsaved wound you cause on the enemy. Note, this isn't kills, it's wounds caused, so in most cases this will be kills because most models only have one wound, but some have more (like monsters). So killing one Ogre would be 3 wounds caused.
- One point for each rank after the first in your unit, up to a maximum of 3 ranks.
- One point for having a banner. But only one point regardless of how many of your banners are involved in the same fight.
- One point if your unit is on higher ground than your opponent.
- One point if you have a unit engaged in the enemy unit's flank (but you still only get one even if you have both enemy flanks engaged).
- TWO points if you have a unit engaged in the enemy unit's rear (cumulative with the flank bonus).
- One point if the total unit strength of your troops is greater than the total unit strength of the enemy troops (this is the outnumbering bonus).

Add up everything on this list that your units are entitled to, your opponent does the same for his units, and whoever has the highest score wins.

Hope that clears things up, if you have any more questions, just ask. :cool:

#3 ·
sweet thnx a bunch! my last question is when if you have two units engaged with an opposing unit (one from the front and the second from any flank) then do u combine the two combats for resolution, or are they still seperate. I'm just wondering who the flank bonuses you spoke of would go to, the actual flankers or the unit at the front.

#4 ·
No problem, here goes...

If you have a combat involving more than two units (ie. two of your units engaged with one enemy unit, like you said), it is all worked out as one big combat. So you would add up the total number of wounds inflicted on the enemy by both your units, and the enemy would add up the number of wounds they caused on each of your units as well.
Then, after adding in all of the other CR bonuses you and your enemy are each entitled to, you compare the grand totals for each side (not each unit), and whoever's total is larger, wins the entire fight.
After that, every unit on the losing side must take a break test. Although if some losing units pass the test, then they remain in combat and fight on (meaning that if your units are still in base contact with any enemy that held, they cannot pursue the enemy that fled. Only those of your units that are no longer in base contact can pursue fleeing enemy).

There are a couple of other things to know about when working out a combat involving multiple units;

- First, when adding in your rank bonus, you only add the ranks from your biggest unit (ie. the one with the most ranks). You do not add the rank bonus from each of your units. Also, I forgot to mention something about the rank bonus. The rank bonus is the only thing that you claim for before the fight starts, all other CR bonuses (including wounds and outnumbering) are claimed for after the fight has ended. So you can start with and claim a full +3 rank bonus before any attacks are made, even if your unit falls below the numbers required to claim a full bonus when the fight has ended.
- For the outnumbering bonus, you add up the unit strength of all your models that are involved in the same fight. The enemy does the same and whoever has the largest total unit strength gets the bonus (obviously, if the totals are equal, no-one gets the bonus).
- As I said before, when adding the +1CR for having a banner, you only get a maximum of +1 for having a banner, not +1 for each banner.

Also, don't forget that if a unit has been engaged in the flank or rear, they lose their entire rank bonus. Although for this to happen the enemy unit in their flank/rear must be unit strength 5 or more and not be skirmishers.
As you can see, hitting the enemy in the flank is highly desirable, since it removes their rank bonus and also gives your side +1 for attacking the enemy flank (or +2 for the rear). Contrary to the rule above, even skirmishers can claim the flank/rear bonus, but whoever is in the flank/rear must still be unit strength 5 or more.

I hope you can follow all that! It can be quite complex (even I got it wrong for a long while!), I suggest you print this out and run through a few test combats to get the basic idea. You could also make up a few check sheets with all the bonuses listed and when working out the combat, you can tick each bonus off and add it all up at the end.

As always, feel free to ask if you have any more queries. :cool:

#5 ·
man your just awesome! the last two questions are pretty simple so here ya go.

When a unit fails it's break test and has to test to see if it panics, will the Immune to Psychology effect cause that unit not to test for Panicking? and does the same question apply to when the general dies?

the second is, under the common magic items list it says War Banner: 25 pts, +1 to combat resolution. so who can use that? my friend thought he could combine it with just the regular standard bearer to give his unit a 2+ CR bonus. Is this true? or can it only be used with a lord/hero?

#6 · (Edited)
stezerok846 said:
man your just awesome! the last two questions are pretty simple so here ya go.

When a unit fails it's break test and has to test to see if it panics, will the Immune to Psychology effect cause that unit not to test for Panicking? and does the same question apply to when the general dies?

the second is, under the common magic items list it says War Banner: 25 pts, +1 to combat resolution. so who can use that? my friend thought he could combine it with just the regular standard bearer to give his unit a 2+ CR bonus. Is this true? or can it only be used with a lord/hero?
No test is taken for a general's death. I believe in an older edition, tests were taken in such an instance, but it changed. Whether or not I'm right about the old rules, you don't for a general's death now. Undead armies have special rules for this, but it applies only to combat resolution.

A break test isn't technically the same thing as a panic test. Immune to psychology doesn't mean you're unbreakable. Unbreakable means you're unbreakable. Units which are unbreakable have the benefit of never breaking from combat and being immune to psychology. Again here as above, undead have peculiar rules. Their listed as immune to psychology but they never break from combat--they take additional wounds instead.

So to simply that above paragraph:
1. immune to psych can still break from combat.
2. unbreakable never break from combat and a priori immune to psychology
3. undead are ItP and don't break just because they barely have any cognition going on, and, well, they're already dead so what do they have to lose?

As for your second question, refer to the particular amy books for an answer. First, every army has hero level characters that can serve as a Battle Standard Bearer, and that BS can be magical (but taking a magical one precludes taking any other magical items for that character). So let's say that you put an Aspiring Champion of Chaos in a unit of Chaos warriors. You can have a regular command standard (for +1 CR) and the War Banner on your hero for another +1. I love taking War Banners with knights since they seldom have any significant rank bonus.

Other units can take magical banners if their army book entry states as such. It will read something like "May take a magical banner up to X points."

Many core troops can not take magical banners, but that depends upon the army.

Hope that helped! :)

#7 ·
It seems DavidVC04 has beaten me to it! However, he's got it all right.

Just something to remember about standards and the slightly better army Battle Standards. Even if your unit has it's own standard, and you get the Battle Standard bearer to join that unit, you still only get +1CR for having a standard.

But the War Banner does give an additional +1CR, so a unit with the War Banner gets +2CR (+1 for the banner and +1 for the magic effect of the banner). As David said, most core units can't take magic banners, but some can (chaos warriors and chaos knights are prime examples).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.