Am I missing something? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Am I missing something?

This has been bugging me for a while ..

I'm a 40k player, just to let everyone know.

Anyways. I go onto the GW WHFB site and into the Wood Elves section, since they interest me (probably starting them up soon). The thing that confuses me, though, is that "T4 and a 5+ Ward save" are supposed to be really good. What? :huh:

Are the two games that different? A 5+ save, no matter what it was, would scare me and I would never rely on it. T4 isn't such a big feat in 40k. So what's the catch? I'm assuming the rules are quite different, when it comes to wounding etc. because I just can't see a 5+ save being that good. They really call T4 and 5+ saves that good on the GW site, and I'm just wondering if it's true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

The reason that T4 is such a benefit is the lack (compared to 40k) of high strength attacks. Look at most 40k armies, and you will see a fair few S8 and higher weapons both ranged and CC. The common high point for WHFB armies is around S6.
    As for the ward save, it acts much like the invulnerable save in 40k. The benefit is in how armour penetration is determined in the different rulesets. 40K has AP, and it will completely ignore armour that it can penetrate. So a 3+ save will be a 3+ save against any strength attack unless the AP of the weapon is 1, 2, or 3 (power weapons have AP2 and there are some exceptions, such as the Ork Choppa). In WHFB, armour penetration is determined by a -1 modifier to the save for each point of strangth over 3. This means that a S6 attack in WHFB (lances or great weapons for example) will change a models save from (for example) 3+ to 6+ in addition to being more likely to wound. As S6 attacks are reasonable easy to come across in WHFB, an unmodifiable 5+ save is of more use in WHFB than in 40K where it only has an effect against weapons which already ignore the models armour.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

That certainly puts things in much better perspective. ^_^ Thanks much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

A Ward Save isn't like an Invun. save, or a normal save. You can take your normal save, fail it, then take your Ward save. Also, T4 is quite a good thing. Most, if not all Men/Elves have T3, which IMO, is average. Few armies' standard troops choices are higher than T3.

Have fun starting WE! ^_^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis
    This has been bugging me for a while ..

I'm a 40k player, just to let everyone know.

Anyways. I go onto the GW WHFB site and into the Wood Elves section, since they interest me (probably starting them up soon). The thing that confuses me, though, is that "T4 and a 5+ Ward save" are supposed to be really good. What? :huh:

Are the two games that different? A 5+ save, no matter what it was, would scare me and I would never rely on it. T4 isn't such a big feat in 40k. So what's the catch? I'm assuming the rules are quite different, when it comes to wounding etc. because I just can't see a 5+ save being that good. They really call T4 and 5+ saves that good on the GW site, and I'm just wondering if it's true?
    Something else about the ward save for forest spirits in the WE army is that it only works against mundane attacks. Most ward saves work against any type of damage and unlike an armor save, there is no modifier to it. So a model with a 4+ ward save rolls for a 4+ regardless of the strength of the attack. Forest spirits, though, don't get that save against any type of magical damage, only mundane damage.

+ Reply to Thread