breath weapons and no visible target - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

breath weapons and no visible target

can a breath weapon be used to damage a unit that is out of sight (ie 3" in a wood)

Last edited by Keilah; October 9th, 2005 at 21:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You can only target units you can see, so no.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but breath weapons are a template, and templates don't target specific units. Like a stone thrower, it doesn't say, "oh I'm throwing a big rock at that unit right there that I can see," it jsut says "I'm shooting in that direction, oh, say, 25 inches".
    The rule book says nothing about chosing a target for a breath weapon (unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am), so could someone please give a better answer (or rather, a better reason for an answer)?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Keilah
    yeah but breath weapons are a template, and templates don't target specific units. Like a stone thrower, it doesn't say, "oh I'm throwing a big rock at that unit right there that I can see," it jsut says "I'm shooting in that direction, oh, say, 25 inches".
    The rule book says nothing about chosing a target for a breath weapon (unless I'm wrong, but I don't think I am), so could someone please give a better answer (or rather, a better reason for an answer)?
    Errrm. Wrong. A stone thrower must be able to see at least one unit along its line of fire. If a stone thrower has nothing in LoS, it may not fire at all.

The rules don't specify about breath weapons, but how is a dragon supposed to burn something that it doesn't even know is there? Sometimes a little common sense needs to be applied.

A breath weapon has an intended target, so you still have to choose which unit you want to shoot (pg114) - you can't target something you cannot see. See also pg 59 for LoS rules on the 2" rule.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork
    Errrm. Wrong. A stone thrower must be able to see at least one unit along its line of fire. If a stone thrower has nothing in LoS, it may not fire at all.
    I Don't remember saying that the stone thrower could shoot in a totally random direction, just that you don't have to declare a certain target. Please don't tell me I'm wrong when I'm not =[

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that you have do declare a direction and a unit that your firing at. Over shooting happens, however purposfully guessing long is frowned upon. I think it's in the Annual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Errant Squire
    I believe that you have do declare a direction and a unit that your firing at. Over shooting happens, however purposfully guessing long is frowned upon. I think it's in the Annual.
    It's only frowned upon when employed with mortars. In the spirit of the rules, mortars are supposed to target only units they can see, not just pick a direction where they can see an enemy. Unfortunately, the actual rules work exactly the same, all you can do is frown upon people who purposely overshoot with mortars.
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

+ Reply to Thread