Librarium Online Forums banner

duels

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jolly death 
#1 ·
I have a couple quick questions about the dueling rules. In a recent game between me and my friend in which I played OK's and he played BRETS (WHO I HATE!!!! SO CHEEZY...with him I mean... other players are fine.) anyways I had a solo bruiser kitted out for dueling and charged his unit of 8 knights or some number like that... and challenged his leader also WAY kitted out for dueling, I did 2 wounds to him (after armor saves and everything) and he did 2 to me, however, he said that I would then have to take a leadership check at some insanely low number i think i needed double 1s, I needed to do this because of some banner he had that gave him extra combat res, because of ranks, because of outnumbering, ALOT of stuff, I thought that their was no combat res in duels or at least only for the two characters involved so who was right...?
Thank You

#2 ·
If neither of the characters died, then the dual simply continues on in the next turn. That is if the rest of the unit from both sides stays put. You would have had to make the leadership test for the entire combat resolution, since it still occurs whether you got in a challenge or not. The modifier to your leadership would have probably been 6 if he had the warbanner I think.

#4 ·
Combat resolution should be calculated as normal as the rest of the unit is still jostling around the actual fighting giving the rank bonus and the standard is normally right next to the fight.

If you have a tooled up character for challenges it is generally crazy to send him in on his own against a unit with rank support and a banner, you would still have lost combat even if you killed the other guy. Put him in a small unit so there are attacks being directed at the enemy unit, that should level out the combat resolution a bit.

#5 ·
I had a similar argument with one of my friends...he believed that if 2 characters were in a duel and neither died that both units would not calculate combat res and woud simply stay where they are. However, to me that seemed pretty stupid...put yourself in that situation...you are being attacked from all sides, you're outnumbered and a lot of men on your side have just been brutally slaughtered. Would you honestly wait until your unit champion has finished his little challenge before you decide to run for your life?
Basically, if 2 characters are in a duel and neither die, then you will calulate combat resolution as normal, and if it is a draw, or the losing side does not flee, then combat will continue, and so will the challenge (the challenge will not stop until one side loses combat and flees or if one of the champions get killed). I hope that helped you, as i tried explaining it to my friends who all disagreed, so i had to ask one of the staff in my local games workshop to tell them that i was right....nobody ever listens to me :cry:

#6 ·
Well Im not quite sure about that, but im still in the believe that you dont calculate CR, when there is a duel...you said we should put our self in that situation...well for me its like when the two champions are fighting then no one else interfers! Its like a little isolated battle because when you challenge a champion, you challenge only the champion. Your not challenging the entire unit...for me thats the thing that makes most sense

#7 ·
hmm...? i think i understand now but now i have a new question, if their is a single character who is dueling a character in a unit, and their is a seperate unit (seperate from the character) fighting the same unit, does the character have to take a break taste or anything like the unit? or does he not count as losing the combat?

#8 ·
It says in the rulebook under challenges that the challenge continues until one fighter dies or they flee...

Its still a combat whether you're in a duel or not, the rest of your unit isn't going to sit and watch you die. They're going to be adding pressure to the situation, and if both sides have a unit they'll be killing each other while the challenge goes.

jolly death said:
hmm...? i think i understand now but now i have a new question, if their is a single character who is dueling a character in a unit, and their is a seperate unit (seperate from the character) fighting the same unit, does the character have to take a break taste or anything like the unit? or does he not count as losing the combat?
Now logically (to me at least) he would stay.. But combat resolution is worked out for the whole side, not each individual unit. So I guess he would still flee anyway. Or at least take a leadership test.

#9 ·
The whole unit would still fight like strewart is saying, check the rulebook and point out to me the page number where is says the rest of the unit will not fight as normal...also, even if you were in a challenge, you would still flee if the unit you are facing is clearly going to win. Big deal, you killed the unit champion, but there is still a whole unit left there...personally, if i were in a challenge, and i noticed that i am the only one left in my unit and the opposition still has 16 or so guys left, i wouldn't care about killing my opponent, i would run (i would imagine most people would value their own life more than the death of an opponents...).
I hope that made sense...at least I think it did...

Reactions: Lurch
#10 ·
Makes perfect sense bungle. The combat resolution still applies if one character is fighting a challenge against a unit on the grounds that the character one his own has a look around the rest of the fight and works out that even if he wins the challenge he has the rest of the rather miffed unit to deal with afterwards.

This whole thing is more of a tactical balls up than a rules issue. You don't charge a unit with one dude and issue a challenge, because even with the overkill rule you won't kill enough to balance out the combat resolution. Actually saying that I have seen my chaos lord or Khorne butcher an entire unit of troll slayers (about 20 in the full unit) in about 3 turns, and then I didn't charge intentionally it was the frenzy. I was just very fortunate that there wasn't a character in the unit for my opponent to issue a challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.