Joining a unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Joining a unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joining a unit

I know characters, special characters, lords, and heros can all join a unit, but can anyone else? For instance, can a giant join a unit of trolls? Or any other single model unit join another multiple model unit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

No, only characters can join units. Giants, Shaggoths, Spawn and such are monsters and not characters. Therefore they are units of themselves, they aren't really 'single models' in the same way that characters are.

This means that although a character can join one of these types of units such as a giant (or a unit of Trolls, Minotaurs, Kroxigor or whatever), you cannot join two giants together to form one unit. Neither could a Shaggoth and a spawn join to form a unit.

So just remember that unless the model is a character, it cannot join another unit. You wouldn't join a unit of Swordsmen with a unit of Spearmen to form one unit would you?

However, I've just thought, this does prompt the question; can a Shaggoth Champion join a unit? Since although he is a monster, upgrading him to a Champion makes him a character. Any ideas anyone?... :huh:
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You wouldn't join a unit of Swordsmen with a unit of Spearmen to form one unit would you?
    Spearmen in front rank, spears behind, hmm...

However, I've just thought, this does prompt the question; can a Shaggoth Champion join a unit? Since although he is a monster, upgrading him to a Champion makes him a character. Any ideas anyone?...
    It says the Shaggoth Champ is treated exactly like a Lord (Beastmen Army Book, under "Shaggoth") and according to page 95 of the rulebook, he can join units of ordinary troops.
    ab00?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he could, because if i remember correctly he is a flyer...and flyers can't join units of guys on foot can they? (just like a lord on a mount can't join a unit on foot and visa versa).
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shaggoth might have the bottom half of a dragon, but remained wingless blame evolution
    ab00?

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Bungle
    I don't think he could, because if i remember correctly he is a flyer...and flyers can't join units of guys on foot can they? (just like a lord on a mount can't join a unit on foot and visa versa).
    i thought you could join up regardless, not that i would get the silly idea of joining up my dragon with some warriors.
    the drawback as i can remember it is that you can only move as fast as the slowest model in the unit and have to use the ground movement.

cant see any advantages doing this but oh well
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Well the back of the Bretonnian army book depicts Leoncouer (on hypogryph) joined in a unit of archers (f**k knows why you would want to do that) so I would say you can put fliers with non-fliers, but yes they would have to move at the rate of the slowest model.

Shaggoth lords can definitely join dragon ogres, my friend does it all the time.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Bungle
    I don't think he could, because if i remember correctly he is a flyer...
    No, Dragon Ogre Shaggoths are not flyers, and never have been! Not sure where you got that idea?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure...I don't actually play Beastmen and have never seen Shaggoths being used before, but for some reason believed that they were flyers....
    Maybe it also has something to do with their huge points cost, so i just assumed they were flyers?:wacko:
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

You were probably thinking of Daemon Princes and Exalted Daemons, all of whom Fly as standard, regardless of what power they follow (bit odd for Nurgle Daemon princes, but there you go...)

So, the general concensus of Shaggoths is that if they're upgraded to Champions, they are allowed to join units. I guess being allowed to join units of regular Dragon Ogres makes sense at least!

+ Reply to Thread