Question About Army Books - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question About Army Books

I recently started playing WHFB, and have purchased a few army books in order to decide which army I would like to invest in.

Point is, I was looking around on the GW website today and noticed they were releasing a new version of the Dwarf army book in Jan. 2006. I was wondering if anyone happens to have any idea how often the books are rewritten...is it possible they are in the middle of a game-wide revamp right now and the books I just purchased are all soon to be out of date, or do they just go one army a year or something? (and if so, does anybody know whats after the dwarves)

Also, as far as models go, is it typical for units to get phased out in new revisions of the armies?

And finally, does anybody know when or if a new revision on the main rulebook is next planned?

Lotsa questions, just trying to figure out if I should wait before starting to put money and time into the game, and I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

-Walker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The main rulebook is due for a revision fairly soon, 7th edition should hit next year, if not then early 07.

It depends on the army as to how long between revisions, Tau are only a few years old and are getting a new codex while (40k) orks haven't seen a new book in more than 6 years.

GW usually only manages one new book a year, but you start hearing about whats next before the end of the year. Next on the list for WHFB is apparently High Elves.

Models sometimes get phased out, quite a few did in the last switch. But this one is supposed to be minor, so most will still be usable even if they get newer versions.

Hope that helps.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    GW usually only manages one new book a year, but you start hearing about whats next before the end of the year. Next on the list for WHFB is apparently High Elves.
    The new Dwaft book is comming out in the next month or so, but then the word in our local game club is that the next army with a revision was going to be Orc & Goblin.

Where have you heard that High Elves are next? I hope that it is true.:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Also, from another point of view, old army books aren't wasted money; They are a good source of fluff, if you're into that. I still have my old 4th edition Army Books, and they are a treasure chest of fluff compared to the skinny ones we have now. But the cool thing is, in many cases the fluff overlaps somewhat, so new books may have "new" fluff pieces in it, and when you have the old nes(s), you have a wealth of fluff to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The new Dwaft book is comming out in the next month or so, but then the word in our local game club is that the next army with a revision was going to be Orc & Goblin.

Where have you heard that High Elves are next? I hope that it is true
    I already have the new Dwarf army book, have had it for a week or so.

I've heard HE are next from Gav Thorpe, though O&G are going to be in the 7th edition box so it would kinda make sense for them to come first. Some people say HE will be next, others say O&G. It will be one of the two..
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

It's unlikely to be High Elves - they got a few models this year as it is - GW will revisit armies that need their model ranges updated, not rules - that's the fact of the matter.

Based on that logic, it would be reasonable to assume that we'll see Vampire Counts get redone before High Elves - the VC range was barely updated after 5th ed.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread