Some Questions... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Questions...

Hello all :shifty:

I was just wondering about how bolt throwers are shot. Me and my friend often have arguments about it. Basically, I know that you must hit a standard warrior if you can, but do you always take shot from the front of the unit for the purposes of penetrating ranks? If for instance you were shooting at a unit of five knights who are allined in one rank, would you only hit one even if you killed the knight since there is no second rank? I would imagine so, but if shooting the unit in the flank would you have a chance of penetrating it from the side? If so, how would you determine whether the bolt thrower hits the unit from the flank or the front etc. Would it be done in the same manner as decalring charges when it comes to deciding whether the unit charges the other in the flank or the front, or would it be just decide from what you can see...or would you just draw a straight line hitting what ever it crosses (so if you shoot at a unit that is diagnol to the BT it could hit a LOT of guys)?
    Now another question, when you persue and cut down a unit or get an overrun, does the unit get to reform facing any direction they want or are they left facing the direction in which they moved? (Which means they would problably have to turn to face another enemy on their next turn, and declare a charge the turn after...). Also, can a unit reform to face any direction if they wipe out a unit in combat one the second turn or after, or are they also left standing?
    Any replies would be appreciated because I and my group of friends are not really sure from the information in the rulebook. Cheers for reading all that :w00t:

EDIT: Also (I think I know the answer to this one but I will ask it anyway) when you roll higher than the opposing unit in your persuit roll, do you move your unit in the direction that the opposing unit would have tried to flee in, or seeing as the unit has been cut down, do you move your unit in a straight line through the unit like an overrun move?
    Cheers in advance (again)!

Last edited by Master_Bungle; January 20th, 2006 at 17:50.
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer your first question... The wording in the rulebook is misleading, as it is based on the assumption that you're firing at the front of a unit. If you are enfilading an enemy unit (shooting it in the flank), then you treat the number of models WIDE the unit is in place of the number of ranks that it has. Verification for this can be found in the article written by Gav Thorpe.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronic...ar-machines/1/

"...Actually, the rule is written that way because the imaginary line that traces the course of the cannon ball is infinitely thin, and therefore cannot pass between two models and affect them both (see diagram 6).

You should consider a unit that is hit in the flanks by a cannon (or a bolt thrower, for that matter) to have a number of ranks equal to its width. This means that if the shot passes along a rank, it can affect more than one model (see diagram 7)...."

Keep in mind that you use the maximum number of models in a rank, not the minimum... a unit that stand 4 wide but has only 2 models in it's last flank is exposed to 4 hits, not 2.

Diagonal shots are resolved as if they had hit straight-on on the unit... you still can't hit more than one model per rank. You determine which side of the unit you hit as per the charge rules... if you're unit is mostly in their flank, it's a flank shot etc.

Second and Third Questions:
    The unit is left facing in the direction that they pursued. You have to move the pursuer the full distance rolled in the direction that the fleer travelled. That's why sometimes it's better to just stand still.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you VERY much! That pretty much covers everything I asked...and yet again, what I thought was true was in fact correct and my friend was wrong! (I have had many arguments with my friends about rules...and I am almost always correct! :w00t: I remember they believed if a unit champion was in a challenge that CR was not worked out and that even if a unit could declare a charge on 2 different units that it could redirect to the other one anyway, even though it could have charged it in the first place!). Well I am satisfied :sleep: Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!
    ....He is coming for YOU....
    "Master Bungle is right" - Stonehambey
    "Get out of my house Master Bungle!" - Victim

+ Reply to Thread