A very odd question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

A very odd question

I used to play Fantasy back in (I think) 3rd edition, nearly 10 years ago. After dropping out of it I found out some of my Friends played 40k and so picked that up. Now there's been some discussion in our group of giving Fantasy a try once the new edition comes out, but one of the principle guys (upon which the whole thing depends) is starting to waver.

I was wondering about doing a bit of a mock game with him, just to give him a feel for what Fantasy is like (and hopefully get him excited about it). I have my old Lizardmen and Chaos Army books (first Lizardmen book, and I believe the first Chaos book to come in a box) and access to a 6th edition rule book.

The question is, are these old army books and the 6th Edition rule book at all compatible? At least enough to run a single game? Thanks.

-destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

No, they are no longer compatible. There are new offical rules out for the lizardmen and chaos, I've seen the third edition Lizardmen rules, and they are pretty old (You have a relic Lizardmen codex my friend :yes: ). Your best bet is to pick up a new Lizardmen codex if you ever plan to play in any tournaments.

If you want to get that nice feel of 6th edition warhammer, just go to your local gaming store and watch a battle or tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Yeah, I know there's been at least one new version of each, I was hoping to be able to scratch together enough rules for a sort of "franken-game" to help my group decide if we'd be starting up Fantasy armies at all (and hence, if it was wortwhile spending money on the updated rule books). However, it's sounding like that won't be possible... Sigh, thanks.
    -destp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, to the best of my knowledge even the 5th ed army books (or whatever they had back then) are incompatible with 6th ed.

--ignore the stats in the rulebook.
    --ignore Ravening Hordes (unless you feel like chaos dwarves).
    --New armies include Tomb Kings (the "mummies" from VC, who can no longer take any khemrian stuff) and Ogre kingdoms (all ogre army) at least.
    --Dwarves have 2 army books for 6th ed. http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...003&orignav=13 Thats the newer one.
    --Chaos takes up two army books: Hordes of Chaos and Beasts of Chaos.

Thats everything I know, really. I never played before 6th ed.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not go by the GW site and download the rules for the Dogs of War? You can print them off, and basically use whatever miniatures you have to fill for your troops. They are 6th edition compatable, and honestly fairly basic, so you'd have a good idea of how to give a tutorial.

I hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mishra
    Why not go by the GW site and download the rules for the Dogs of War? You can print them off, and basically use whatever miniatures you have to fill for your troops. They are 6th edition compatable, and honestly fairly basic, so you'd have a good idea of how to give a tutorial.

I hope this helps!

Hmm, that's not a bad idea... I have to complete 2k-3k point armies (at least, the lizardmen one used to be complete) so I was sort of hoping to use them, but this sounds far more workable. Thanks.
    -destp

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Thjey are not that incompatiablr are they? (not when compard to 2nd edition WH40K and later editions of WH40K) many of the rules ar pretty similar especially if it is only a mock battle to get a rough feel for the game. Meh haven't played the old edition in a while might crack it out and give it ago
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the ones you can download from the GW site were updated in a White Dwarf by Alessio (sp?) for use with the current rules set. Now I'm not gonna hold my breath that they're still gonna be usable in August, but <shrug> they'll hold you over til then at least to get your feet wet.

Glad I could help bring more players into the fold.

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by destp
    I was hoping to be able to scratch together enough rules for a sort of "franken-game" to help my group decide if we'd be starting up Fantasy armies at all
    Well here, http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/reference/1/

If you just want enough stats just to play a game then download those form there.
    There are special rules for them, and you won't be able to use them without the codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Hmm... Good idea with the reference sheets. Figure we can coble together enough with those and what's stayed the same from early versions (Scaly Skin, Cold Blooded, etc.). Thanks.
    -destp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast