Redirecting a charge from a fleeing unit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Redirecting a charge from a fleeing unit

My question is thus: When redirecting a charge from a fleeing unit, does the unit I'm redirecting at need to be "revealed" by the fleeing unit? Thus if two units are side by side and one flees I can't redirect, but if one unit is behind the other and by fleeing makes the rear unit visible I can redirect?

If this is so, where in the rules is it stated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

You can only re-direct a charge if the unit you want to re-direct into was not a legal charge target during the declare charges phase.

So if two units are next to each other:

AAAA BBBB
    AAAA BBBB
    AAAA BBBB

...CCCC....

A= Enemy unit A
    B= Enemy unit B
    C= Your charging unit

If you declare a charge on unit A, and they flee, you cannot re-direct into unit B because they were a legal charge target when you were declaring charges.

If the unit you wish to re-direct into are obscured, and not a legal charge target during the declare charges phase, then you may re-direct into them if the fleeing unit flees sufficiently to get out of the way.

Example:

AAAA BBBB C
    AAAA BBBB C
    AAAA BBBB C

A= Enemy unit A
    B= Enemy unit B
    C= Your charging unit

If you declare a charge into unit B, and they flee, you may re-direct into unit A if unit B (who is now fleeing) flees far enough to get out of the way.

In practice, you need to wait to see how far unit B flees before deciding whether to chase after them, or attempt to re-direct your charge into unit A (which gives a bit of advantage to the chargers, but they should get an advantage anyway, they're charging!)

Edit:

Unit's don't necessarily have to be 'revealed' to be re-directed into.

Example:

AAAA
    AAAA
    AAAA
    ....BBBBBBB

..CCCC

A= Enemy unit
    B= Enemy unit
    C= Your charging unit

In this situation, enemy unit A is visible to your charging unit, but as stated before, are not a legal charge target due to enemy unit B being in the way.
    You could declare a charge on unit B, who, if they flee could possibly flee far enough to now allow free passage to charge unit A.

heheh, are you confused yet?
    Last edited by MobiusPrime; May 2nd, 2006 at 22:13.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Great post, MobiusPrime. He's dead on, xrix1. The redirected-into unit can't be a viable charge option unless the obscuring unit that you originally charged flees and reveals it; or the last case, MP mentions.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

You lads sure about that? Under redirecting a charge on page 53 of the rulebook it merely says that if another target is in range and LoS then you can redirect into them regardless of where they are. The only restriction is if there is a choice of targets, you need to hit the one closest to the original unit.

The way I see it, if there are two units right next to each other and one behind the unit you are charging, and the first unit flees, rather than hitting the one behind as you seem to indicate, you'd have to go for the one next to them.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusPrime
    If you declare a charge into unit B, and they flee, you may re-direct into unit A if unit B (who is now fleeing) flees far enough to get out of the way.

In practice, you need to wait to see how far unit B flees before deciding whether to chase after them, or attempt to re-direct your charge into unit A (which gives a bit of advantage to the chargers, but they should get an advantage anyway, they're charging!)

Edit:

Unit's don't necessarily have to be 'revealed' to be re-directed into.

Example:

AAAA
    AAAA
    AAAA
    ....BBBBBBB

..CCCC

A= Enemy unit
    B= Enemy unit
    C= Your charging unit

In this situation, enemy unit A is visible to your charging unit, but as stated before, are not a legal charge target due to enemy unit B being in the way.
    You could declare a charge on unit B, who, if they flee could possibly flee far enough to now allow free passage to charge unit A.

heheh, are you confused yet?
    I am confused.

In this situation when unit B breaks and runs wouldn't they run away from the charging unit, not sideways. Therefore they would be next to unit A not in front of unit A.

.........BBBB
    AAAA BBBB
    AAAA BBBB
    AAAA

CCCC

If this is correct unit C can redirect into unit A.

Please let me know if this is not correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

My original understanding was as strewart said, however a most people where I game agree with MobiusPrime and DavidVC04.

I have no problems with either view, but the only "rules" people were able to direct me towards to support their argument is that the example diagram on page 53 shows the case that Mobius and David have suggested. I was currious if is spelled out anywhere, maybe in a FAQ I missed?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

From the Dire Wolves website.

Q. Can a unit redirect a charge against an enemy unit that it could
    have originally charged?

A. No. You can only redirect a charge against a unit if you could
    not have declared a charge against them normally, but can now do so
    due to the enemy fleeing.
    S. Warhammer Chronicles 2004 page 112
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redirecting charge

On my reading on the red book i take it to be that you can only redirect a charge if it was not a valid charge target at the start of the charge declarations. The problem is - what is a valid target for a charge! The rules say that a unit is a valid target for a charge as long as one model can see it - which can be interpreted a number of ways.

The way that i play it [and the guys i play with] is that if you don't have a clear path to charge all the unit to hit the targetted unit at the time the declaration is made, then it is not a valid charge target.

Like a number of rules - you need to have a discussion with those you play with and come to an agreement on how you will play it. I have a list of "house rules" in my gaming room so there is no misunderstading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering whether the unit could be redirected into if it was not a viable target when the charge was declared, but was not revealed because of a fleeing unit. One time we had a game where a unit charged and terrain was blocking it's view of a unit but when it moved forward it could see.

I guess what I'm really asking is the oposing unit seen as fleeing AS you are moving or for all intents and purposes the enemy unit flees before you move(This doesn't make sence in real life but it is a game afterall)

+ Reply to Thread