Removing standard or musician order - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing standard or musician order

Hi

I have a question that i can't find a definative answer for that came up in a O&G vs Chaos battle last night. The question is this:

As you remove casualties and you get down to the last 2 core troops - standard + musician, if you take one more wound which do you remove???

I think maybe it should be the standard bearer but i am not absolutely certain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

You get the choice at that point. Most people would keep the standard bearer, trying to hang on to that 100 VPs.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if you don't play vicory points ?? My group never does - we play until it is obvious one side has won [or sometimes mutual annhilation]. The actual situation was that i had a unit of chaos knights who had been hit by a unit of black orcs and i was down to 2 ordinary guys left - another wound was done and i was obviously going to lose the combay by a fair bit. I was having a bad night rolling break tests and rallying so i asked can i keep my musician and ditch the standard. We decided not too - and after i ran, in my rallying phase i rolled a 10 - which would have stood with a musician but not with the std bearer. I did eventaully rally the unit and my chaos force which was on the edge of destruction rallyed and wiped out the O&G force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your down to one guy then you can't rally.
    Even Chaos Knights have 4+ unit size so 1 remaining knight is 25% and cannot rally... ever.
    So the musician won't help you.
    Fleeing with a banner won't help you either; the enemy will steal the banner and get the 100VPs.

However,... I've thought of a new way of thinking on this.
    If the banner bearer dies, and then the single musician flees, does the enemy "capture the standard"? Or is it lost?

If it is lost then removing the banner might be a good way of depriving the 100VPs. Would this be considered cheesey? Thoughts please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

IIRC if the standard bearer dies then he dies and cannot hold on to the standard. That means that it would be on the ground = The enemy would probably take the standard and it counts as being taken.

Im not 100 % sure of this, but it sounds like its the most realistic thing that would happen.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Logically yes, if the standard bearer falls the enemy should pick up the fallen banner and capture it, but this isn't logic, it's Warhammer. I'm almost certain that the only way a banner can be taken is as a result of the losing unit fleeing. If the banner bearer dies before the unit flees, then the banner is simply lost. So yes, it is a good way of depriving the enemy of 100VPs (if you use VPs, we don't and I don't know anyone who actually does!...)
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch Lord
    Logically yes, if the standard bearer falls the enemy should pick up the fallen banner and capture it, but this isn't logic, it's Warhammer. I'm almost certain that the only way a banner can be taken is as a result of the losing unit fleeing. If the banner bearer dies before the unit flees, then the banner is simply lost. So yes, it is a good way of depriving the enemy of 100VPs (if you use VPs, we don't and I don't know anyone who actually does!...)
    if the whole unit dies thn you get the standard.

if anyone helps you with an army list or rules/fluff , then give them some rep

http://s2.bitefight.dk/c.php?uid=19914

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have originally stated that the people i play with every week do not play the "under 25% can't rally rule" - we play until one side is no more, one person resigns or mutual destruction occurs. With that house rule, keeping your musician or std bearer can on some situations [not many] can help.

Thanks for all the replies.

+ Reply to Thread