ICs fighting a challenge after a unit is destroyed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ICs fighting a challenge after a unit is destroyed

Unit A and Unit B are allies. Unit A includes Hero A. Unit C is the Enemy, which includes Hero C.
    Heroes A & C are independent characters who have joined their respective units in a previous turn.

A & B charge C and Hero C issues a challenge. Hero A answers the call and they start to slug it out.

Several close combat phases later, Hero A and Hero C are still slugging it out. In the meantime, the regular rank and file from Unit A and Unit B finally manage to kill the last of Unit C (Except Hero C, who is an IC fighting a challenge)

What happens now? Is Unit B no longer engaged in combat? Is Unit A stuck in place with Hero A, but unable to do anything? Does Hero C take a panic test because a unit within 6" was destroyed in CC (no, because he is in CC as well, right)? Does the challenge end or do the two heroes fight on, no matter what, until one falls?

My interpretation is that Unit B, which is not part of the challenge, may now redress the ranks and move in their next movement phase. Unit A stays where it is, unmoving, and unable to affect the fight between the two heroes. And the two heroes keep fighting until one falls.

Can someone confirm this for me?

When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, find someone to carry you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have it right.
    At least, that is how I would do it.

But the unit A will still add rank bonus and banner to the Combat result wouldn't they?

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

I think you're right too. Unit B is no longer in combat (since they have wiped out their opponents and aren't in base contact with Hero C, because he's in a challenge with Hero A), but Unit A must stick around to support their Hero, and they would indeed add ranks, banner and outnumbering to the final combat resolution. Of course, if Hero C killed Hero A, he would no longer be in a challenge and Unit A would then be free to administer a kicking to Hero C.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

+ Reply to Thread