A few newbie questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few newbie questions

1) A single mounted hero pursues a fleeing unit. The mounted character moves 3d6, the unit 2d6. Does he really kill them all? I suppose thinking of it as scattering the enemy so they can't reform is better than him stabbing a dozen people in the back if so

2) A single mounted hero/character within 5" of a chariot, can he be shot at?

3) Ouch at break tests. Is one round of combat really the norm in WHFB? Just want to check we weren't doing anything hugely wrong after a group of spearmen+hero beat a unit of Orc Boyz by 3 (which means they'd need a 4 or lower on 2d6).

4a) Mounted character (3 attacks) in contact with 2 enemy. He causes 3 wounds. Do only those 2 enemies die or is a 3rd (from the rear? what if there's no rear rank?) taken?
    4b) Same character but now his warhorse attacks. Is there anyone he can kill?

5) Is it possible to wheel backwards? Since the rules say about how far the edge move forwards i'm guessing not. Thus is the correct method turn (quarter of move), wheel, turn back (quarter of move)?

6) How would you treat a wooden (with lots of gaps) fence? As soft cover? Block any LOS?

Thanks all Sure I'll have more soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Hi, i'll do my best here.

1) Yeah the unit is removed

2) I would think not (i think this is one of those questions you only really think about when it comes up in gaming)

3) One round is perfectly fine. Indeed when you charge you should be hoping to break your opponent's unit in one round (of course there are exceptions)

4) Unless you specifically direct all your attacks against a character in the unit, you are assumed to attack "rank and file". So yes you would kill three models and the mount could also attack and kill another.

5) I've never seen anyone wheel backwards. It would be the same as moving backwards i guess, which of course you can't do

6) In these situations it's best to discuss with your friend at the beginning of the game what these count as. This is how i play hedges/fences;

Independant characters and skirmishers may move through them with no penalties.

They do not block line of sight.

If a unit is directly behind a fence then it counts as soft cover for anyone wishing to shoot at them (obviously not from behind though!)

If a unit is directly behind a fence then you may charge the unit. But the unit will benefit from the 'defended obstacle' rule

Hope this helps somewhat

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that Stonehambey, just what I was after

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeling backwards.

The way we do it where I play is this.
    1/4 move to turn around
    Wheel
    1/4 to turn around again.
    And, you can't march while doing all that.

Suffice to say, that my dwarfs don't do that a hell of a lot!

+ Reply to Thread