Targeting over other units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Targeting over other units

Sorry for the string of newbie questions but I have been reading through the rules and the FAQs and have more questions that answers. I play Brettonians so I'm gonna style all my questions using their models.

Can an enemy archer unit shoot over my pesants to target my Pegasus Knights or Knights of the Realm?

Can an enemy archer shoot over my Knights of the Realm to my Pegasus Knights?

Is a character on a Pegasus targetable if he is with in 6" of a Cavalry unit provided he is not the closest target?

Is a character on a Pegasus targetable if he is with in 6" of a Pegasus unit provided he is not the closest target?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Can an enemy archer unit shoot over my pesants to target my Pegasus Knights or Knights of the Realm?
    Nope

Can an enemy archer shoot over my Knights of the Realm to my Pegasus Knights?
    Nope

You can shoot over normal targets to hit 'large targets'. Similarly you can shoot over 'small' units to hit normal ones.

Is a character on a Pegasus targetable if he is with in 6" of a Cavalry unit provided he is not the closest target?
    Isn't the rule 5"?

Anyway have a look at the bases of the models. If the pegasus base is larger than the cavalry base then i would say yes.

Hope this helps

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey
    Nope

Isn't the rule 5"?

Anyway have a look at the bases of the models. If the pegasus base is larger than the cavalry base then i would say yes.

Stonehambey
    The Pegasus is on a 40 x 40 base with Knights being on a 25 x 50 base.

So to wrap up, there are three basic unit sizes; Small, Large, and Everything in Between. Because both knights and pesants are in between, you can't see over one to the other...

Does this also apply to mounted characters standing behind a unit of man-sized models?

It does help.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

The Pegasus is on a 40 x 40 base with Knights being on a 25 x 50 base.
    this wouldnt count him as being a larger target.

So to wrap up, there are three basic unit sizes; Small, Large, and Everything in Between. Because both knights and pesants are in between, you can't see over one to the other...
    Yep.

Does this also apply to mounted characters standing behind a unit of man-sized models?
    Yes it does apply. though i would always have him NEXT to them, not behind.
    the man sized models can block line of sight to cavalry.
    Cavalry dont count as large targets..

If a model is a "large target", then it will say "large target" under their profile.. such as dragons & giants etc.. if it doesnt SAY large target on the profile, then they are NOT a large target.

Note: dont forget that if the shooters are on high-ground then they CAN shoot over your normal sized units.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA_recruit
    Yes it does apply. though i would always have him NEXT to them, not behind.
    the man sized models can block line of sight to cavalry.
    Cavalry dont count as large targets..
    I do understand that a unit of infantry would block LOS to calvary models behind them but I was under the impression that if a calvary model was NEXT to the unit it could be targeted. The way I thought the rule went was that it went by base size. To use LM for example because that's what I play: A scar-vet on foot within 5" and is not the closest target could not be targetted by shooting, however, a scar-vet riding a cold-one could be targetted. Of course there are exceptions like the skaven ratling gun because the rats holding it are the same size as the unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is the way I always played.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

No, but it would mean you are able to target him even if he was within 5" of a unit of knights

Evan8433 has got it spot on

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

No, but it would mean you are able to target him even if he was within 5" of a unit of knights
    dont you mean 'within 5" of a unit of infantry' ?.. if it was a unit of knights then they would be the same size as him so he couldnt be targeted..

and are you saying a cavalry character can be targeted within 5" of infantry, even if the infantry are in front of him (or in the LOS i mean). Or did you only mean next to them?

thanks for correcting me
    W L D
    21 5 5

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

dont you mean 'within 5" of a unit of infantry' ?.. if it was a unit of knights then they would be the same size as him so he couldnt be targeted..

and are you saying a cavalry character can be targeted within 5" of infantry, even if the infantry are in front of him (or in the LOS i mean). Or did you only mean next to them?

thanks for correcting me
    To clarify,

A pegasus knight has a larger base than a normal knight, so a character riding a pegasus would not benefit from the 5" rule if he was near a unit of regular knights, and could be picked out, as long as there is a clear LoS.

But infantry blocks LoS to knights block LoS to Pegasus...etc

Hope this helps

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

This is right. A caracter can only be safe if he is next to a unit with a minimum of 5 models (not unit strength, models) of the same base size and not the closest target. You also cannot hide a foot caracter next to a cavarly unit.

Lastly, a Large target can only ever hide either behind another large target, or a major piece of terrain.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Ok, thanks for the help
    W L D
    21 5 5