line of sight in combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

line of sight in combat

I was playing a game a couple of day ago and a situation came up aboput line of sight in combat, I had a single model with a 20mm base engaged with another model with a 40mm base. The model of the 40mm base was a spell caster and casted a spell the required line of sight to cast, and was not a magic missile spell. Can the model of the 40mm base see past my model on 20mm base when they are both engaged in combat with each other?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My group plays a sort of "what is reasonale" approach. The model on the 40mm base must be a lot bigger than the one on the 20mm so it sounds okay to me. In a game if you can't agree on what happens roll a dice - get on with it and talk about it later - not in the heat of the battle, and remember it is just a game and supposed to be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Im not sure, but i would say the spell caster could cast spells in the combat, but not directed at units outside the combat
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

While in close combat, you have no line of sight. even if is base would be on the edge of a unit engaged in combat, the caracter cannot freely draw a line of sight while locked in combat.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    While in close combat, you have no line of sight. even if is base would be on the edge of a unit engaged in combat, the caracter cannot freely draw a line of sight while locked in combat.

This is how we play it. But is there a rulebook page reference that says that this is correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

So does that mean you cant cast spells against the unit you are fighting the CC against either? (as well as being unable to target thigns outside the combat, obviously)

also.. what about casting spells INTO a combat when the mage is near it but not engaged.. i know you cant cast template spells like black horror.. but what about magic missiles like doombolt or fireball?..
    there is a particular Dark magic spell 'word of pain' that says in its description it can be cast against units, even if they are fighting CC. So im not sure if they are just pointing it out for clarity on this particular spell.. or it means you cant cast any spells into combat unless it SAYS you can..like this one..

the thing that makes me unsure is that the original spell description didnt include the part stating it can be cast into combat.. but in the revised description released in the dark elf army book update FAQ thing instead. So i take that as meaning it always COULD be cast into combat, but they just changed it to SAY it, bcoz so many people were asking that question about this spell (bcoz it makes them hit on 6+ in combat).
    And if im right then it means all spells can be cast into combat even though they dont specifically say they can.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Spells must specifically state that they can be cast into combat.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps
    The model of the 40mm base was a spell caster and casted a spell the required line of sight to cast, and was not a magic missile spell. Can the model of the 40mm base see past my model on 20mm base when they are both engaged in combat with each other?
    There is some debate (as usual) about whether you can see past a combat or not. But rather than repeat myself again, I'll point you to this previous thread on this exact same topic. There is also this Direwolf FAQ page that you might want to read (about four FAQs down) that may answer your question. Although this is only a Direwolf council interpretation of the rules and not a bonafide, official, stamped, sealed and approved GW ruling. And as you will see if you read that other thread I mentioned above, there are some issues with this interpretation (re: casket of souls).
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DA_recruit
    So does that mean you cant cast spells against the unit you are fighting the CC against either? (as well as being unable to target thigns outside the combat, obviously)
    Sorry, I meant "no LOS other than the guys you are fighting in cc." So your cc enemy can be the target of these spells (unless magic missile)

A spell that says it is a magic missile is as per shooting rules, so you can't do it if you yourself, or unit you are in, are in cc.
    A spell that specifically mentions "can be cast into combat" is obvious.
    A spell that says "unengaged enemy" is obvious. And if the caster is in combat and the "unengaged enemy" are within range then the spell can happen regardless of what you think the LOS is.
    A spell that says nothing should be treated exactly as it says. basically you can do it unless it says you can't. Some spells that say that you can cast in certain circumstances are just to over-clarify things.

At least this is how I play it.

There are some other over-clarifying things. I think the dwarf organ gun or flam cannon are Str5 armour save -2 (which it would be anyway because it is Str5!)

+ Reply to Thread