Squig Hopper question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squig Hopper question

I have an ogre army that I play with. The other night I played a friend of mine that has an O&G army. In his army he has some squig hoppers and I have never played against them before. He insisted that if they had a rider, he could direct there hops, and that they auto-contacted any unit within their hop distance (even if the enemy was 4" away and he rolled a 9), and then they could hop again in the same turn. Since I do not play orcs, I did not have the Orc army book to dispute him. So what happened, is that he just hopped over all my units in one turn until they died going back and forth between multiple units. Needless to say I was pretty P.O.'d because I'm certain there is nothing in Warhammer that is that powerful :argh: . Guess my question is, do the hoppers have to move their full hop and just not what they want to move under their dice roll? Like I said he was just auto contacting any unit within his dice roll, and I never stood a chance.

Bohunker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

While it is possible, squig hoppers must move the distance rolled on the dice. So if they land on one unit, they do jump again, and in theory land on another unit - but only if the new distance rolled would take them into that unit.

And as a tip for the future, if you doubt what your opponent says, get him to show you his army book with the rules in. It is not supposed to be a secret document for his eyes only. This would have cleared this question up immediately.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's entirely possible for the squig hopper to jump entirely over the
    unit in question. It only jumps again if it contacts an enemy figure, not
    if the enemy figure is inside the distance rolled. Also, I believe a double
    has bad effects for the rider.
    As Rork says, get him to show you the rules in question, as it's very common
    for people to play what they think the rules say, not what they
    actually say. (I'm terrible with Fast Cavalry. I "remember" rules that I'm
    positive are correct. When I check the BRB, I find these rules are a figment
    of my imagination)
    However, as Kooshlord pointed out in his "one turn wins" thread, the
    squig hopper of doom (tm) is capable of killing your entire army in
    one go. It just has to be phenomenally lucky. So lucky that I'd take a
    look at your friend's dice, not his rulebook!

Cheers,
    Spon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Squig hoppers do allow you to chose the direction they hop, however there are additional rules I.E rolling doubles, moving full distance, getting charged....etc. Squig hoppers are entertaining but unpredictable units and have been reworked so really i'd suggest waiting until the newest edition. Without going into full details though.... your friend misinterrupted his rules vastly... i think you should read the current Orc and Goblin book soon.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Your friend has done you up proper If squig hoppers did that everyone would play night goblins and just destroy each other.

The direction is controlled, however the squig essentially bounces the distance determined by the dice so it is going from one point to another and jumping over the bit in the middle. It sounds like he is confusing the rules for fanatics with squig hoppers as fanatics do hit everything in their path but move in a random direction.

As has been suggested squig hoppers have been re-written in the new greenskin book, I think they are now some kind of skirmish unit.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

+ Reply to Thread