Stand & Shoot with Fear - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Stand & Shoot with Fear

Here's the scenario:

My Gnoblar trappers fail a fear test from a charging unit of Furies but outnumber the fear-causing enemy. The question is if I can stand and shoot since I failed the test but didn't flee. I'd need 6's to hit in combat, so my friend and I resolved the question by saying I'd hit on 6's for shooting, too.

What I think is that I could stand and shoot as normal.

According to the rulebook, the sequence would go like this...
    1. He first declares charges to start the movement phase but then has two more parts to complete before he moves the chargers. (p. 18)
    2. He doesn't measure for the charges until the move chargers part of the phase. (p. 20)
    3. Fear rules state that the fear test isn't taken until the measurement takes place. (p.50)
    4. Stand and Shoot occurs before measurements take place. (p. 20).
    5. So you can stand and shoot as normal, right?

Chargers who dash towards a missile unit are taking a risk, after all.

Last edited by DavidWC09; November 21st, 2006 at 14:59.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Well yeah, I don't see why you don't stand and shoot as normal.

The rules say that they fight as normal in the combat but hit on 6's for the first round (p.50, 9th Paragraph).

There, hope that answers your question.

archonfarseerguy

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

This came up over the weekend at the Gt qualifier. One guy I was talking to was playing against Alessio Calvatore, and he didn't know the answer (its not like he wrote the rulebook or anything ). The answer was that the charged unit was allowed to shoot as a charge reaction as normal but would hit on 6's in combat.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    The answer was that the charged unit was allowed to shoot as a charge reaction as normal but would hit on 6's in combat.
    Just had a look through the rulebook, as far as I can see, Lurch's comment is correct. The unit may make their stand and shoot reaction as normal, but then require 6s to hit in close combat. The fact that the unit has failed a fear test does not affect their chance of hitting the enemy, they suffer the usual modifiers of course (such as the -1 to hit because of a charging enemy), but that's all.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I thought if you failed a fear check like that that you could not declare a charge reaction?

I'll have to check my rulebook tonight but I'm pretty sure that was the way it worked.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

But you don't take the test until he measures for charge range, and stand and shoot happens before that.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    I thought if you failed a fear check like that that you could not declare a charge reaction?

I'll have to check my rulebook tonight but I'm pretty sure that was the way it worked.
    You must be able to declare a charge reaction of some sort. If you are not outnumbered by the fear causing enemy you can still choose to flee and holding is a charge reaction as well. The judges ruling at the weekend was that you can stand and shoot because it doesn't say in the rules that you can't.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what i read of the rule book it basicaly says that if charged by a fear-causing enemy unit, the charged unit declares their charge reaction, then the unit takes its test after the enemy unit has been determined to be within range to charge.

If the test is failed and the unit size is smaller than that of the fear causing enemy then it flees, if it fails but is greater than or equal to the size of the enemy unit, then they get their charge reaction as normal, but hit on 6's in close combat fopr that round, and obviously if you pass, you fight as normal.
    Mutated by the Warp, we are outcasts, yet Space Marines we remain. We shall destroy our enemies, and we shall do so from the shadows where none shall see us coming. - Drizkan Incarus of the Shadow Dragons

Shadow Dragons Fluff
    Shadow Dragons Homeworld
    Siege of Draconis Prime

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

I really think my first post answers it. You stand and shoot before measuring charge range. You don't test for fear until the charge is determined to be in range. So you stand and shoot as normal, regardless of the outcome of the fear test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    I really think my first post answers it. You stand and shoot before measuring charge range. You don't test for fear until the charge is determined to be in range. So you stand and shoot as normal, regardless of the outcome of the fear test.
    It states in the rule book that you declare your intended charge reaction and then take your fear test i they are determined to be within range.

After taking the test, and if you have passed, or failed but have a higher unit size, then you can take your charge reaction as normal.

So basicaly even though you are declaring your intentions before hand, you still dont get to take action until you have taken your fear test.
    Mutated by the Warp, we are outcasts, yet Space Marines we remain. We shall destroy our enemies, and we shall do so from the shadows where none shall see us coming. - Drizkan Incarus of the Shadow Dragons

Shadow Dragons Fluff
    Shadow Dragons Homeworld
    Siege of Draconis Prime

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast