Oathstone Rules Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

15 (x1)

Oathstone Rules Help

Ok I am confused at how hte oathstone works. You read the discription and it seems like the character climbs up on it and everyone gathers around facing in all directions killing anyone that gets close, but the rules aren't very helpful. Does the character stand in the middle of the unit declaring challenges or does he stay in his place in the original front of the unit effectivly cut out of any combats on the flanks or rear? Has there been any official FAQ on this because I would love to convert and use one but there is just too much left unknown between the rules and the description of its use?

"...and we shall pave our path to the gods with the Skulls of our fallen foes."

2. Remove Advertisements

Wayward, Texas
    2 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

The description suggests that they form up in a circle, because of that phrase "around him." However, I think that that's misleading when, in fact, the dwarfs stay in a rectangular shape. Each model pivots to face its side, thereby removing their flanks and rear.

Also, the rules state that dwarfs don't lose their own rank bonus from rear/flank charges, which means that the models must still be assembled in ranks.

It seems that a dwarf character with an oathstone puts the stone down right where's he standing, and he can't leave that spot. So he can fight only in the direction he's facing, unless he challenges.

And from how I read it, he is an exception to the rule where characters can issue challenges only when they are in a fighting position. It says that "he is not hard to find - he's the one on the stone" (p. 28).

So if you got charged in the rear, putting your character out of combat, you could use your oathstone and issue a challenge to make sure he can fight.

At least, that's how I read the passage. What do some of you other rule-saavy people think?
    Last edited by DavidWC09; November 26th, 2006 at 20:02.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Prowling LO, looking for fresh meat.
    3 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

476 (x8)

David has it right.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread