Cavalry Unit Strength - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavalry Unit Strength

I can't find this anywhere in the rulebook (probably just not looking hard enough), but does a model mounted on a warhorse have a unit strength of 1 for just the knight or 2 for both the knight and the horse, for example, does a single bretonnian knight of the realm have a unit strength of 1 or 2?

Note: basically what I'm asking is do you mounts count for unit strength

"We are the Ultramarines," called Uriel. "And no foe can stand against us while we keep faith with the emperor." - Brother-Captain Uriel Ventris of the Ultramarines Fourth Company.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Cavalry models are treated as a single creature with unit strength 2 (page 71).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
    Cavalry models are treated as a single creature with unit strength 2 (page 71).
    and allocate hits on the rider not the mount, unless the rider is a character of which you must randomise, you can choose whether mount or the character gets hit by the projectile (i think you can do this).

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clear things up a little, you only get to direct hits if the character is riding a monster mount. If it's just a regular mount, like a horse, wolf or boar, all hits are made at the character, as usual when hitting knights or the like.
    Basically, a monstrous mount is a mount with 2 or more wounds, regular mounts have only 1 wound, and can not be hit in close combat. See Monstrous Mounts on pages 59-61, Unit Types; Cavalry on page 7 and Cavalry Casualties on page 31 in the rulebook. (Whew, with references and all).

Edit: Spelling and punctuation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

211 (x6)

surely there must a passage that hits can be randomised between the mount and the rider and/or the player can choose to allocate the hit against the mount just to save the character,
    i don't have the rulebook with me at the mo. (at uni.) to verify if this is the case.

-Kai-Itza-

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Itza View Post
    surely there must a passage that hits can be randomised between the mount and the rider and/or the player can choose to allocate the hit against the mount just to save the character,
    i don't have the rulebook with me at the mo. (at uni.) to verify if this is the case.
    -Kai-Itza-
    Skilett has the right of it here. Here's my (verbose) explanation:

Normal cavalry are unit strength 2. Hits against them, whether in CC, shooting, or magic, are always resolved against the rider's characteristics. There is no randomization, and no possibility to kill the mount independant or instead of killing the rider. The only things that affect normal mounts are specific magic items and spells, which usually have the effect of limiting the mount's speed or preventing attacks from mounts.

Mounts with 2 or more wounds are a different story. I believe you randomize shooting hits between multi-wound mounts and their riders. Close combat attacks must be allocated (by the attacking player) to either the rider or the mount.

You cannot choose to allocate wounds to a mount to save a character. If it is a single-wound mount, it cannot be attacked, it just adds speed, an attack, and armor to the rider's characteristics. If it is a multi-wound mount, the attacker chooses where to allocate the attacks (this is important because the character and the mount often have different WS, T, W, and armor saves, and you have to keep them straight from the beginning). Unless you are riding a monstrous mount or a chariot, there is no way for a character to lose their mount.

Hope that helps!
    Koosh

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Nope, that's complete guff. Skilett is spot on with his assessment, regular mounts (ie. mounts with 1 wound) can never be hit in close combat. Hits against models riding regular mounts always hit the rider. Only when fighting models riding monstrous mounts (mounts with 2 or more wounds) can you declare whether you're attacking the rider or mount (or randomise the hits if shooting).
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by kooshlord View Post
    You cannot choose to allocate wounds to a mount to save a character. If it is a single-wound mount, it cannot be attacked, it just adds speed, an attack, and armor to the rider's characteristics. If it is a multi-wound mount, the attacker chooses where to allocate the attacks (this is important because the character and the mount often have different WS, T, W, and armor saves, and you have to keep them straight from the beginning). Unless you are riding a monstrous mount or a chariot, there is no way for a character to lose their mount.
    *slaps head* i've been cheated so many times by other gamers that say "i'll allocate this hit to the mount", and i let it pass!?! that's it! i want a rematch for the humiliation(

thanks for clearing this up guys on my part *gives rep.*

-Kai-Itza-

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

*slaps head* i've been cheated so many times by other gamers that say "i'll allocate this hit to the mount", and i let it pass!?! that's it! i want a rematch for the humiliation(
    Cheating blighters! Though I'm curious to know what these opponents did once the mounts were 'dead', did they replace the knights or whatever with equivalent models on foot, or what?
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as a Vampire, I always just raise the mount back. It's great, like having an extra wound on all your characters.

(And in case the smiley didn't give me away, I'm just kidding. That would be cheating kids, and we don't want that, do we now?)

But seriously, Kai-Itza, after hitting and wounding your character, something often significantly harder than wounding a horse, they would just direct it to their mount? Just the fact that the victim gets to decide who takes the hurting! You've definately been cheated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast