Fanatic fanatics! LOS? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Fanatic fanatics! LOS?

I just played yet another game vs. the Orcs and a situation came up that confused me a bit... (especially since my opponent seems to tailor his interpretations game by game)

There was a line of 5 boarboys with night goblins behind them...
    I charge them with my scorpian and align for a fight,
    in the magic phase I charge in some Ushabti... all's good, a bit of a scrap is about to begin!
    Than I am told that my Scorpian, which has been pushed over to make room for the Ushabti has provoked the fanatics in the night goblin unit.

Now. I wondered why the fanatics didn't come out when my scorpian first charged?
    The scorpian was well within 8 inches of the night goblins,
    I was told that the fanatics need Line of Sight, and that simply coming within 8'' is not enough.
    The Orc codex only says something about the 8'' distance. It doesn't say a thing about Line of Sight. My opponent went on about precedence and such...

(But you know Line of Sight is taken the same as a charge arc right? If that's so than he's made mistakes releasing them when I sneak up behind his gobz!)

Can someone please shed some light here... something concrete?
    Thanks.
    {goofy}

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I don't think the scorpion should have moved across. You only shift units around when they declare a charge at the same time, which this doesn't appear to be.

Fanatics don't need LoS. If your models get within 8" of a fanatic holding unit, they are released, simple as that. The fanatic rules do not mention LoS, so you just use the rules as they are written.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

ah ha!

Thanks Rork!
    I though so on both counts, but my friend was getting really upset.... so I gave up. maybe a bad call? He was saying that "no one plays them like this, that they need LOS, ask anyone and so on." But it's true, the rules as written state only 8'', and there is nothing in any erartta, which he scornfully said I should read.
    :x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Sounds like your opponent is the type of player who is constantly trying to bend the rules to their benefit.

Just to confirm what Rork said, no LOS is required. Perhaps it makes sense that the goblins wouldn't release the fanatics until they could see the enemy, but that isn't in the rules. They are released as soon as an enemy unit is within 8". Fanatic rules are quite complicated, you should probably make sure you know them well if you play him again just in case he tries to change them in some other way. You never know what some people will try.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Rork and Ancalagon are both correct, no LOS is required for fanatics.

This sort of stuff happens a lot. Someone finds a rule and interprets it to their advantage, citing precedence or logic or 'in the real world, it'd work like this.' Ultimately, you need to stick to the printed rules. If he can't provide a source for his claims, it shouldn't be allowed. If you guys make your own interpretations, WRITE THEM DOWN so you can reliably use them later.

The first guy I played (also an O&G player, coincidentally) bent rules left and right because he couldn't be bothered to read them. With people like this, you really need to know all his rules in addition to your own, cause otherwise you'll get hoodwinked. Other common examples include illegal magic item combinations (multiple magic weapons or armors) and war machine line-of-sight swindels.

Sorry about the rant.
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Slighty bent....

Or what I mean is, i think my friend is a little crazy. he seems to forget things that we've talked about. Thing is, he himself seems to have a number of "certified" friends...
    His ideas about some rules seem to change from time to time depending, as I must hae said, on the circumstance.

Thanks all, for you input.

I was reading another instance of bending rules, some TK player (TK Nincompoop thread) was using obvious fluff to form a "soild" foundation for why TK bowmen have magical attacks.(psssssst. they don't!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Wording of the new O&G rules

The new rule book is a perfect example for this. Its wording literally implies any time a enemy moves within 8 inches of Night Goblin unit with fanatics the fanatics are triggered. It no longer needs line of sight and they can be thrown from any edge, not necessarily the edge facing the opponent that charged. Its the great part of fanatics... as you throw 1 out of the side being charged, 1 out of the front, and 1 out of the rear if you really want. Great for defending against flyers who under new rules are apparantly too dumb to fly over them thanks to new rules!
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    It no longer needs line of sight
    Just curious...did the previous army book state that Fanatics needed LoS...don't ever remember reading that, nor played it that way...
    Frank G
    Let the false gods burn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Never

Fanatics have never required line of sight, its always been the minute a opponent models comes within 8 inches, its part of the reason that makes building a balanced Orc and Goblin list so deadly as with careful deployment you can guard your army from any reserves entering from behind IE-beastman/miners and guard to the front at the same time.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

that's wierd, i thought they always get thrown out of the front rank... aaah well, sickening though:x

-Kai-Itza-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast