Spears - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spears

hey i'm am/was sure about spears fighting in 2 ranks (HE in 3) but @ gamesworkshop today one of te staff said they only attack in two ranks if being charged and not when they charge an enemy unit. is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CoW-MaN View Post
    hey i'm am/was sure about spears fighting in 2 ranks (HE in 3) but @ gamesworkshop today one of te staff said they only attack in two ranks if being charged and not when they charge an enemy unit. is this true?
    Yes, 'tis true. The section in the rule book on weapons should explain it.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You really should check the book before asking here - it's amazing what it can answer (On pg 55 in this case).

If you don't believe a member of staff (or whoever), get them to show you the rulebook. It's not a secret document .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    You really should check the book before asking here - it's amazing what it can answer (On pg 55 in this case).

If you don't believe a member of staff (or whoever), get them to show you the rulebook. It's not a secret document .
    i do have the book lol but i am not at home at the moment and needed some quick answers, cheers guys for the clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    No, but before you can gain the benefit of its immense knowlege you need to decipher its fiendish code. I believe it's called "the alphabet", whatever that is. I jest, I jest...

On a more serious note, the GW staffer was right. Any weapon that fights in more than one rank only gets the full bonus if they're standing still. Its under the Fight in Ranks rule at the start of the Weapons section of the book.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Actually you fight in one less rank, so if Pikemen charge they fight in 3 instead of the normal 4 if they are charged, High Elfs fight in 2 ranks when they charge, 3 if they get charged, and normal spearmen fight in 1 rank if they charge, and 2 if they get charged. So you don't fight in one rank you charge, you fight with one rank less than normal if you charge, that is if your using your spear or pike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

And for flanking?

Don't forget that this fighting in two + ranks is lost if you are being flanked or hit in the rear.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Palos View Post
    Don't forget that this fighting in two + ranks is lost if you are being flanked or hit in the rear.
    I didn't think that you lost the ability to fight with ranks; instead, I thought you just couldn't use that ability to the sides or rear. You still could to the front, even if flanked. Is that wrong?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

I believe you can always use the 'fights in ranks' rule to the front only, regardless of whether you've been flanked or not. Can't find anything in the rulebook to contradict this (which doesn't mean I'm completely correct of course!)

Also, BustaCaps = correct.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think he means that if you get flanked, you dont get ranks for combat bonus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast