a question on ranks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

a question on ranks

My question will probably be looked at as a silly question, and most of you will tell me to read the BRB. However I only have the LRB (little red book) that came with the Skull Pass box, and I cant seem to find the answer to my question anywhere. My question is..

How many models constitute a rank? I thought it was 5, but the "official" unit trays I got from GW only allow a 4x4 setup. please tell me I didnt waste 10 bucks on these trays :cry:

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

never mind, I found the answer. Why the heck would GW make movement trays that dont even have enough room for 5 models.....

GW pisses me off so much sometimes
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The movement trays are perfect for my skeletons on 20x20mm bases, as they are for empires and bretonnias infantry, and all elves for that matter. The question is, why don't GW make movement trays that fit the larger troops and cavalry.
    Anyway, just cut and glue some movement trays together to make the size you want, or make your own from scratch. I hear cardboard and the leftover plastic from sprues do the job nicely.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on what army you are playing: orcs, chaos and saurus (25x25 base) will only fit 4 models wide, for everyone else on a 20x20 base it will fit 5.

to combat this problem you can join one of the small bases to one of the large bases at the open end and this will give you the ability to have 3 ranks of 5 models with any other models just moved along the table behind the unit. its what i do, but i like have units of 19 as a minimum for my chaos warriors.

if you got the sculpted ones, well, sux dunnit

- LoCU :shifty:
    "Now that question is less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid manner..."

Current Armies:
    - Chaos Undivided: way too many points for my small budget
    - Empire: reliving my first army
    - Lizardmen: too many skinks dammit
    - Space Marines: who doesn't like a man in armour? lol

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

For larger base size models, you can get magnetic bases, and magnetic sheets to move them around on.

Or, if you have any old CD cases lying around, they are 5" wide, and accomodate ranks of 5 large base infantry well.

-Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Demandred View Post
    Why the heck would GW make movement trays that dont even have enough room for 5 models
    Before 7th edition you only needed 4 models per rank to get the rank bonus, and they haven't made new movement trays for 7th edition.

The trays aren't a waste though - there have been some good suggestions for converting them or using other materials. Some of the guys I play against just create another file next to the movement tray, since moving a single file and a tray is still easier than no tray at all. This requires some interpretation over which models can fight sometimes, but they're easy to resolve, and we've never had any disputes.

As for me, I just make trays out of plasticard and balsa wood - super easy, and pretty cheap.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I'll just point out that there is no difference between the LRB and the BRB in terms of the rules - Both contain all you need to play the game, the LRB pages are just scaled down versions of those in the BRB.

The only difference is that the LRB lacks all the background about the various races and extra scenarios in the game.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread