Chariots : impact hit distribution - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chariots : impact hit distribution

After much poring over the rulebook lastnight, I still couldn't decide how this works. The rulebook refers to the hits being distributed like shooting, but also refers to them being similar to close combat hits.

The situation was this: my 4 light chariot unit charged a unit of Plague Monks that contained two relevant models in it's front rank (Plague Priest and Champion). As it says 'hits are distributed like shooting' we went with me only killing rank and file with my charge, but it felt wrong to kill 8 models and have the two characters sit there with not a care in the world. Maybe chariots can 'target' their impact hits like melee hits? Can someone clarify?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I think you did it the right way. If you were to fire 20 bows at the unit none of them would hit the priest or the champion as they can't be targetted. I think the only time the chariot hits could be an issue is if there were fewer than 5 models in the unit, because at that point you can single out models for shooting. In that case I think you distribute.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you might want to consider doing is resolve each chariot's impact hits in turn.

So apply chariot 1's hits against rank and file only (assuming the unit has at least 5 rank and file models)

Remove casualties.

Apply chariot 2's hits

Remove casualties

etc.

You should end up in the situation where you have less than five rank and file and then start to hit the characters, randomising as per shooting.

I don't see any reason why you cannot apply the hits from each chariot in turn, but maybe I am wrong.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadaith View Post
    What you might want to consider doing is resolve each chariot's impact hits in turn.

So apply chariot 1's hits against rank and file only (assuming the unit has at least 5 rank and file models)

Remove casualties.

Apply chariot 2's hits

Remove casualties

etc.

You should end up in the situation where you have less than five rank and file and then start to hit the characters, randomising as per shooting.

I don't see any reason why you cannot apply the hits from each chariot in turn, but maybe I am wrong.

It doesn't state to do each in turn. All you're doing in this case is giving an advantage to the chariots that they should not get according to the ruleset, as it allows them to kill the characters when impact hits should never be able to (as long as there are 5+ R&F models in the unit when it was charged). After all, even in a challenge situation the hits still go against the unit.

Doing them one at a time would be like allowing a single unit of salamders to shoot one at a time to try and kill a character in a unit.

In short, it was played correctly. And while those two characters may not have a "care in the world" about the hits themselves, when combat resolution comes around, they'll remember it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You resolve all the hits at the same time, like shooting. The characters won't be hit since characters can't be affected by impact hits if they're in the unit.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

The characters won't be affected in any way at all unless you have less than 5 rank and file model, then you distribute wound randomly if less than 5 ranks and file models. Also since hits are resolved like shooting, unless your horses and crew kill all model in base to base contact(assuming the unit has no spears), I think all models can strike back who have not bean killed by horses or crew, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe this to be true

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BustaCaps View Post
    The characters won't be affected in any way at all unless you have less than 5 rank and file model, then you distribute wound randomly if less than 5 ranks and file models. Also since hits are resolved like shooting, unless your horses and crew kill all model in base to base contact(assuming the unit has no spears), I think all models can strike back who have not bean killed by horses or crew, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe this to be true
    Yes, but impact hits are still close combat attacks, so kill the models in the front rank. While they are distributed like shooting attacks (i.e. they can't pick out specific models), they are still close combat attacks in all other ways.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I agree with Rork, they hits are part of close combat and the "distribute like shooting" part is just to indicate the method in which models are wounded.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

id do it the way you did- ie not targetting characters. Although its not totally logical its the best way to represent the impact of a chariot in the game, you randomise the damage taking characters from the rank and file to represent the chariots ploughing into the regiment, an individual character such as a unit leader is meant to be a veteran etc. who would surely have more nouse than to get in the way of a chariot.

Makes sense to me anyway
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For such a large part of the game, I'm surprised the answer to this isn't more definitive.

You all mostly seem to agree that we played it right, but Rork seems to suggest that they are applied as shooting hits but to the front rank only (assuming until the front rank is dead, and then to the rest of the unit?) and hence the wounds may hit characters?

If no one here can answer definitively, who is the official GW body / person that would rule on this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast