WD 305, May - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD 305, May

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WD 305, May

This must be the most bland, the most boring issue of WD I have ever seen. It is the first time when I actually read other parts before moving to Wh40k, even in spite of not being interested in those parts. I have found the section of LoTR to be actually more interesting for Wh40k gamer than the Wh40k section. There is a nice text about modelling there and - gasp! It is not about modelling something for the Space Marines!

OK, let's go:
    • Living Tide. A preview of the Tyranids. Four pages, with about three totally taken by images. The Tyranid players must be really thrilled with the half-page photo of Gargoyles. I mean for sure Gargoyles are something entirelly new for them, unlike all the boring new models! There is also a 1/3-page silhouette of the new Carnifex - when the actual photos are plastered all over the Internet! All in all about one page of babble, the rest taken by totally inconsequential space-fillers. And this is on the outset of the new codex, army box AND a ****load of new minis, for God's sake!
    • Battle Zone: Swamp Worlds. Nice. Pointless. That just about sums it up. A text about gaming in swamp environs. What is required of you is to make new terrain and find opponents. As there is a rule, stating, that swamp movement cannot be bigger than the armour save, the Marines will move 3". And this means you will not find opponents. All in all this is probably the best, or should I say - the only good article in the whole 40k section. A battle between IG and Eldar or Tau would go nicely.
    • Brute Force. What can I say about this article? It goes like this: "Whoa, man! Terminators! Cool! I mean... whoa, Terminators! Yeah, Terminators! Hmm... you can get a box. But better, you can get TWO boxes! But wait - you can buy FIVE boxes! How cool is this? Whoa, Terminators!". I have actually had to force myself to read this. 6 pages devoted to saying that Terminators shoot well, fight well and have a good saving throw.
    • Crux Terminatus. "Whoa, man! Terminators! I mean... whoa, Terminators!". Four pages of this.
    • Knowledge is power. This is an article about DoW chapter of Blood Ravens. I actually had my hopes high for this one - I loved the game, I liked the characters, I have really enjoyed hearing Captain Angelos' diary and now this article... What can I say? It is bland, formless, gutless, bloodless, so in fact standard that it is almost an art form. An STC article that could probably be written by a computer. The Blood Ravens are great tacticians, they have more librarians than other chapter and they have a dark seeeeeecret. Voilla, this summarises neatly 5 pages of text. Let me be clear - I was positively prejudiced before reading this text, I did not approach it with a mindset "now let's read this crap", but rather an opposite one. IT was a huge disappointment. At the end of the article there is a half-page photo with some Blood Ravens. The subtitle is "Blood Raven Combat Patrol". It has a terminator squad and two bloody librarians! What kind of a combat patrol is this? Do they even know the rules of their own game?
    • No battle report. Who cares? We canprobably imagine another exciting batrep. Let's put one in this issue. My proposition is: Ultramarine Terminators army against heretic Imperial Guard. Imperial Guard consists of 3 infantry platoons without special and heavy weapons and 2 mortar squads. Terminators win. The Terminator player is happy, that the IG player didn't go the tired old route of fielding plasma guns, but instead decided to assume the competitive strategy of charging the Assault Terminators with his infantry squads.

4 wasted pounds. I couldn't say it about any other WD issue I've ever seen - there alwas was something worth reading, worth spending the 4GBP. This issue was completely and utterly useless. And come on - how bloody much more can we read about Space Marines? Even the SM players must be bored ****less by now with the constant SM articles, especially the ones written with the ctrl+c, ctrl+v method. There are chapters with awsome fluff, I'm never bored reading about Dark Angels or Space Wolves, I'd gladly read some more about the Relictors - I mean, if the paper's title is to be "Space Marines" it could at least produce some good texts about them! And I am bloody sure that Marine players would gladly read an odd page or two about their opponents. Is there any hope?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Nurglitch
    Is there any hope?
    No.....[Looks around....fades back into the mists of obscrity.....]
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty much sum's it up
    we're not running, we're attacking in another direction!
    -Call Of Duty 2
    imperial guard
    w/d/L
    2/3/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says in WD 304 that there will a bettle report involving the new nids...
    Currently painting:
    Grey knight squad 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, WD 305 in UK is WD 304 in North America, and I just picked it up a few days ago (I know...even after saying I won't support this magazine any more...guess I'm an idiot). I was in my local GW store and saw the unfamiliar WD cover and asked if it was the new one, out of curiosity. The store employees both responded and said enthusiasitically that it was "A very good issue." Hm.

Well, I picked it up and yes, the Tyranid "sneak preview" (that should of course enthuse me as a Tyranid player) told me absolutely nothing I can't find in 2 seconds online. It was also the shortest 40k article in the whole mag. I know that if we were to go back a few months (or 7, whatever) we'd find the Marine sneak preview taking up a good 8 pages or so, most of it solid print and not just pictures to act as filler.

I'm sure that to outsiders (those who don't even pick up WD), we all must seem like a bunch of whiners who don't know what's going on. We do, afterall, still plunk down our money for this stuff. But honestly, is it that hard to make a decent magazine with material as great as GW tabletop games?!?!

We'll see how the actual Tyranid issue holds up next month (I'm not holding my breath), but I'll probably ask to see the store copy before I buy it. You know, something I did find out: the Warhammer Fantasy Battles coverage in WD is actually not too bad. Its a shame I don't play WFB. As for the LOTR coverage: who cares? It gets about 10-20 pages tops in a 130 page magazine and the game is going to die out in a year or two after the movies fade further from popular culture into cinematic history. But the 40k coverage has consistently proven over the last year or more to be a lost cause.

Hmm...maybe I should start WFB...It would actually make the 30+ back issues of WD I have worthwhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I totally agree with Houston on this one. For the past year or so the WFB coverage in WD far outstrips anything they have published for 40k. As someone who has an interest in both games but more focused on 40k it does not bother me that much as the quality of the WFB articles make up in some way for the lack of quality in the 40k articles.

What is disappointing is that anyone picking up a mag who is trying to decide which game system to start of on is going to be drawn to one system over another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

A friend of mine says there's an article in this month's issue by pete haines about the art of non-cheese.

In the article, he explains situations like taking 6 five man marine squads each armed with a Lascannon and Plasma Gun (the min/max/las/plas tactic of many power gamer marine players at tournaments) as not having any scrap of cheese to it.
    He also says something to the effect of how you can take just ten scouts (2 five man squads) with no upgrades/equipment, and have your troop requirements fulfilled, so you could spend the rest of your points on dreads, terminators and uber librarians. He claims this is not cheese in any respect.

Y'know, if this guy wants to throw down a card like that, then I guess I'll just have to field 6 ten man Dark Eldar Warrior squads, each with two Dark Lances. Whoops, that's only 600 pts. Guess I'll include three Ravagers, each with three Disintigrators. Now were up to 945 pts. Lead this up with a cheap Haemonculus, and I've got 12 Lances and 9 Disintegrators in 1000 pts. Hope this f**** likes that config because against him, apparently it's not cheesy at all.

I've become to hate this magazine. Do I get my money back if I cancel my subscription?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Haines is a wanker to the greatest degree. He's also the one who fielded the all-terminator army in the one-sided Ultramarines vs. Necrons Batrep last issue (don't know what FOC that army was based on, but I've never seen it). His articles make him sound like that whiny little 13 year old we all know and love who min-maxes his armies and cries cheese on you whenever he doesn't win. Some people never grow up.

I'd like to face his pudgy rump in a battle between his Terminators and my Eldar army full of Banshees, starcannons, and Rangers. We'll see who's smiling after that.

(sorry, I rarely get this bitter over another player, but Pete Haines is one of the worst writers for WD, and in a sea of misleading, opinionated writers, that's saying something; don't take his advice for anything)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, for one, enjoyed the feature on the making of that specactular jungle table. I thought that was worth the 6 bucks I paid for it. I have never seriously thought about making terrain but now that I have seen that I may try to make a small 4x4 killteam table.

Edit: Also I found a reasuring paragraph that accompanied the conversion of a radical Xenos inquisitor that stated that the guy "couldn't wait unitl the codex is released: ! ! YAY! Xenos codes is coming, even if it is next year.
    Last edited by Sanctus; May 4th, 2005 at 14:30.
    <(^^)> <(^^<) (>^^)> ^(^^)^ Dance Kirby! Dance!

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

The Xenos(Alien) Hunters codex is coming, but nobody knows when.

Mike
    Last edited by MiketehFox; May 4th, 2005 at 23:04.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast