Wanna learn to draw..... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanna learn to draw.....

Hey Hows it goin? I was wondering if there are any tutorials out there that can help me learn to draw like the GW guys. How do they do it? I study the concept art alot, but still can't get it. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

**Life is an undefined equation**

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.

--- Albert Einstein

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, same here I have bought tonnes of books, but can't find anything that owuld help me draw like them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Though I know this statement is terribly clichéd, I feel I must say it anyway: If you practise, you become better! I had Hard Aun tell me this just yesterday, when I was struggling with a piece of art of my own. If you want to learn how to do concept art and sketches, buy a nice thick sketch pad and a mechanical pencil (I prefer those for concept sketches anyway) and bring them with you everywhere. Whenever you have a few minutes, start sketching. Anything. An interesting house you can see, another person, an object in the room. Make it loose and fast, you don’t want to get stuck with the details. Don’t press too hard on the pencil, but make many thin overlaying lines. Try not to think too much about what you’re drawing, just draw what you see (regardless of whether your subject is in front of you or in your imagination.) Don’t erase. You need first of all to capture the form and direction of your subject, then details can be filled in later.

You shouldn’t be afraid of making your sketches very messy; that’s why they sketches, after all, and not finished pictures. No one starts out by painting the Mona Lisa, even Leonardo needed a sketch first. After your sketch is done and you have filled in the details you want, you can take a pen and ink your sketch. I prefer Pigma Micron pens, sizes 005 and 01, which will allow you to make very fine details. You can either ink in a loose hand, making your picture look more like a sketch, or in a steady hand with clean lines, which would be good for later colouring. When the ink has dried you can erase or partially erase the pencil lines underneath, and you'll have a finished picture. This is why pressing down too hard on the pencil is a bad thing, because it makes the lines more difficult to get rid off later. And then you can colour your picture if you so wish.

Also, don’t be averse to try and copy some of the art found in the various Warhammer codices and art books. Copying is a time-tested method of learning how to do something. Just remember to clearly state that your sketch or painting has been copied from another artist’s picture, and you should also state that artist’s name if you know it to avoid a violation of the copyright rules.

As for online tutorials, I can strongly recommend this page: The Fantasy Art Resource Project (use the menu on the left to navigate the site.) Elfwood, which houses FARP, is probably the largest online fantasy and sci-fi art gallery, so you can also find a ton of inspiration by browsing the site. Just remember to credit the artists you borrow ideas or poses from!

And of course you’re always welcome to post sketches here and get a bit of friendly critique. Good luck!

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

To draw like the 40k codex drawings I would recommend sketching then go over it with a caligraphy set (brushes) keeping a sketchy feel (unless your drawing their super clean ones). Any way that's just what I think.
    Last edited by Ace of Spades; June 30th, 2005 at 11:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

learn no practice yes

:lol: You cannot learn to draw it is practically impossible. You evolve your own stlye. Some people like commercial art some abstract some fime and myself i prefer sculpting (currently working on horus and the emperor now my exams are over ^_^ )

There are hundreds of styles and you will eventually discover your own.
    Try different mediums. Try pen and ink etching oil acryllic goache watercolour pencil pastels

TRY EVERYTHING!!!! :lol:
    I really can't think of anything witty to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Cortana
    :lol: You cannot learn to draw it is practically impossible. You evolve your own stlye. Some people like commercial art some abstract some fime and myself i prefer sculpting (currently working on horus and the emperor now my exams are over ^_^ )

There are hundreds of styles and you will eventually discover your own.
    Try different mediums. Try pen and ink etching oil acryllic goache watercolour pencil pastels

TRY EVERYTHING!!!! :lol:
    Of course one can learn to draw. Do you think all the great artists started out being great? By practising you learn to see shape and form and colour, to make proportions balanced, and to correctly depict anatomical structures. Of course you also develop a distinguished style and preference later on (you simply can’t help it, just like you can’t help getting a unique handwriting), but at first it’s enough to simply practise without worrying about that. Having a unique style will not help if your understanding of the basics of art is nonexistent. Knowledge of anatomy, light and shadows, and colour is necessary for the creation of a decent piece of art, or you’ll end up having a stick figure and not much else. I have improved vastly as an artist after beginning my medical studies because my understanding of the human anatomy has been improved, and I am convinced that others too would benefit from looking through an anatomical atlas. I would also recommend purchasing this book, which is absolutely amazing and a must-have for all serious artists.

The reason why I recommend pencil and paper over water colours and other media is because it’s less expensive for an aspiring artist who’s yet unsure of his preferred media. You can quickly end up spending a lot of money on art supplies that you then never touch because they’re too messy or too difficult. Aquarelle is actually one of the most difficult and unforgiving media in my opinion, and I hardly ever touch the stuff. And sculpting is an entirely different matter, because it happens in 3d and not in 2d, and therefore has other rules applying to it.

As for trying everything, I suppose it would be nice if possible, but rarely do you get the chance to test a wide variety of different media. Pens and pencils can be tested in an art supply shop, but for wet media such as paint one would either have to attend an art class or have a friend with an interest in art willing to lend out a few supplies.

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a huge difference between learning and knowing

you cant just pick up a book and draw you find a way to draw. you find your own way .
    I really can't think of anything witty to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree with Grephaun.... Not to brag or anything but i'm a fairly good drawer. It took me a lot of practicing, mess-ups and enhancing to bring my pictures to what I have now. Practice makes perfect. (or close to it atleast ^_^ )

Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad people say you can learn to draw. I may get a job in 3D and I thought I would fail because I can't draw very well (I think) and I wasn't sure if I would be able to.

@cortana, don't say you can't learn to draw, even if you can't it's no good putting people off trying.
    If your done first, you're the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

The thing about drawing is that you have to learn it by yourself. Ofcourse you can take courses or classes from established artists, but in the end it all comes down to sheer practice and understanding. Like a few have said before in this thread: Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Learn from them. Watch carefully, and draw what you see. There's no need to make any details, it can screw up your work badly.

And a little advice of my own: Start small and simple. Get the basic shapes down first, before moving on to larger and more complicated objects. This way you can recognize the basic shapes that make up a more complicated subject. This helps if you want to get the proportions right
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."