WD, the advertisement we pay for. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

WD, the advertisement we pay for.

I feel it is time for a rant.

Have you noticed how the White Dwarf magazine has slowly degenerated over the years? Once upon a time, it was a good and informative magazine with in-depth articles and varied battle-reports and most of the armies got some light on them.
    Nowadays, it feels like the White Dwarf is simply a way to promote new releases! When the new Tyranids were due, almost every article in the 40k section of WD was about nids', every battle-report and about every painting article focused on the shiny new models.
    I think this trend started with the release of the latest Chaos army books for fantasy some years ago, the entire magazine was bristling with chaos articles and for some time too, they released a new god each month with pre-views and re-views and all that. Since that time, it's been a downhill slope in quality... also, i might be the only one thinking that those LoTR articles are pretty OK, if i played Lord of The Rings i would be very eager to get some inspiration for new games since it isn't very variable to base a game on a book series that won't get a sequel, in comparsion to the open-ended 40k universe it is pretty lame.

I wish they could put in more tactical articles, and battle-reports without the new armies and not nearly as rigged as they are now. They need to be a little rigged, what fun would it be if one of the players had some rush of luck and won the game by turn 3? But rigging in favour of their new releases is just awful. Read the battle-report with the Kill Team slaughtering Tyranids, was it a coincidence that the new Kill Team rules and some models were released in that issue?

End of rant...

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine if they had people mail in their army lists, or even dream army lists and they played studio armies based on those lists? They'd still be able to highlight new armies, and it would give players a chance to see their idea's in action as well as giving them some ownership in the magazine. What if they had a conceptual art contest for the design of a new model. Or a concept list that could get published. Players will always have a lot more total time on their hands than the GW staff, so why not solicit idea's from others? About the new armies always winning, I think that it's just the nature of the beast but I would like to see them do a new army for a while and then do some which have been around for a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree 100%. I love reading about my favorite hobby and all, and I like to read articles about all armies. But it seems articles with armies I play only come out once in a great while, and if it does it's in a huge section about kill teams, which i don't really care to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Yes, it would be a good thing if we gamers could get our own place in the White Dwarf.
    It could be something like the avarage gamer could relate too, maybe interviews with random people playing at GW stores, featuring avaragely painted armies and army lists. Also a column for readers' letters, so people can mail in and let their voices be heard. I think WD would win by being a bit more "by gamers for gamers", i have a few old WD's i still read because there are some quality articles in them.
    Tactics articles made by GW employees are generally not the best quality, but they are good guides for newbies and there should be more of them. I liked Phil Kelly's articles about the new Skaven and Ulthwé Strike Force, even though i didn't agree with all of it.
    What do you think about this? We could do with far more gaming articles, it really isn't that difficult writing one. Or maybe they're too used to writing stuff about the new shiny armies to attract noobs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the last issue was the best one in a while. I think it's a decent magazine, and while it is US$6.00 a copy, it is a 150 page magazine with no ads (except for the fact that the entire thing is an ad for GW).

Sure, some months are bland, especially when nothing in it is interesting (to me) -- but I'm sure that for every lizardman or tyrannid article that bores me, there's a bunch of people who get shifty feet reading about the latest Ecclesiarchy update.

At least they don't wrap them in plastic so you can flip through the latest issue to see if you want it.

I also looked at a few of my circa 1997 issues lately -- and man, I think the magazine has gotten a lot better. Those old ones had tons of crap in them.

So it's not really a "new" "problem."

Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor
    Yes, it would be a good thing if we gamers could get our own place in the White Dwarf.
    It could be something like the avarage gamer could relate too, maybe interviews with random people playing at GW stores, featuring avaragely painted armies and army lists. Also a column for readers' letters, so people can mail in and let their voices be heard. I think WD would win by being a bit more "by gamers for gamers", i have a few old WD's i still read because there are some quality articles in them.
    I like this idea. I think about the next three or four months and how I'm about to get nothing but Black Templar and Dwarves shoved down my throat untill the Tau Empire codex is officially announced and it makes me sick. It's just my opinion but WD would be serving the playerbase much better by helping to support the armies on the farthest backburners rather than the ones in the spotlights. Sure, the new armies deserve some page space (it's GW's magazine after all and how else are we suposed to hear about new things...and there actually are people chomping at the bit to get a taste of what's new), but they don't need the entire magazine for multiple issues the moment they're officially announced untill after they hit the shelves...

Personally I think we should start up an e-mail campaign. It beats moaping about and wishing... (erm... WhiteD@games-workshop.com if you want to send a letter

Not to tell them about how much we hate the job they're doing...but rather the things we want to see and why. For example, I'm worried I'm going to be burned out on BT before they even hit the shelves simply because of WD. Is it too much to ask for an Eldar, Necron, or even a Tau article or a battle report not featuring the flaver of the week?

Tactics articles made by GW employees are generally not the best quality, but they are good guides for newbies and there should be more of them. I liked Phil Kelly's articles about the new Skaven and Ulthwé Strike Force, even though i didn't agree with all of it.
    What do you think about this? We could do with far more gaming articles, it really isn't that difficult writing one. Or maybe they're too used to writing stuff about the new shiny armies to attract noobs?
    I think that like all of us normal human beings in the world that play WH, the designers have their personal favorite ways of building armies. Like the rest of us they have an opinion and they're trying to give other people a perspective. In the case of new armies, the developers are almost always the only ones with insight as to how the armies actually work, and even then they can only share with us one or two ways to play them out of many (unless you're talking about necrons...

But that's just me...
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

WD is a love hate relationship.

It's the only magazine that focuses in on Games Workshop games and for that I love it. Even if I'm not interested in Warbands or Kill Teams (Both of which I've played) I still enjoy looking at the models that they convert for them.

The articles that do come out for a not-so-recently-released army are usually pretty good, such as the recent Dark Eldar article that came out. It had a few incorrect points, but other than that it really made me think about the game from their point of view for a few minutes. Like Sun Tzu say's: If you know yourself and you know your enemy, then you will be successful 100% of the time.

There were also a recent string of 40k tactical articles that, although they were written for beginners, helped to reinforce the basics for me and I tend to look those articles over a couple of times before a tournament or a game where I've got money on the line. (Yeah, you know you've got a bad habit when you gamble over 40k )

Then there's the dark side.

LoTR. 'nuff said. There's a whole other thread for that particular discussion alone.

Then there's the inundation of the new codex or army book being released. I honestly don't ever want to see another Tyranid article in WD for another 12 months, and you can add Space Marines to that list too. They really burned me out on reading articles about them for right now.

Lastly, certain types of things have slowly worked their way out of the magazine like interesting battle reports. I really like a good bat rep, such the one where the IG were assaulting an Ork held fortress, but those kinds of bat reps disappeared about 8 months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

I think one minor thing which would make a big difference to White Dwarf would be if they printed letters from readers. Virtually every other magazine does this, and even though when I was a kid I used to always skip the letters in Dragon for example, now they are one of the first things I read. I can see what other gamers think about things I may have something to say about, and I can see how "the management" responds to criticism. This is important because if they don't know what we want then they can't give it to us. By printing letters they are proving that we CAN contact them and engage in dialogue with GW staff.

Using Dragon as an example again, in any given month their letters (besides letters to The Sage, who gives official answers to rule questions - another great idea WD should think about) will be about 30% "your magazine is great", 30% "why don't you do less of A and more of B?" and 30% 'I really like/hated this article and here is my opinion." The awesome thing is the Dragon staff answer every letter.

If they are neglecting Forgotten Realms for a while in favour of Eberron and someone comments on it they will say "Yeah, sorry but our analysts have told us that Eberron sells better. We don't do anythng without researching carefully and thinking about it first, so that we can give you what you want." This makes me respect their company a whole lot. It shows they are actually thinking, are honest with their customers, and more importantly are willing to engage in a dialogue with their customers.

I always get the feeling GW only asks opinions from their staff members and the complete fanboys on their forums who have been trained to never mention a squat. When was the last time they had a survey for example? I wuold feel a whole lot better if I knew that they were deciding what to give us based on what we actually want.
    Last edited by Kahoolin; October 11th, 2005 at 05:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

Just a correction, when I wrote "Kill Team" i meant Death Watch, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H0urg1ass
    Then there's the inundation of the new codex or army book being released. I honestly don't ever want to see another Tyranid article in WD for another 12 months, and you can add Space Marines to that list too. They really burned me out on reading articles about them for right now.
    Don't get the next couple issues of White Dwarf. I have a feeling it's going to be a big 'ol Black Templar love fest from here to the Xeno campaign in January.

:ninja:
    Now a surgeon cuts off rotten limbs; and mangy sheep are isolated from the healthy; but a prudent Judge will not consider it safe to bind himself down to one invariable rule in his method of dealing with a prisoner who is endowed with a witch's power of taciturnity, and whose silence he is unable to overcome. For if the sons of darkness were to become accustomed to one general rule they would provide means of evading it as a well-known snare set for their destruction. - Malleus Maleficarum , part III.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast