Wd Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Wd Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Was White Dwarf started by Games Workshop? Or was it bought by them?

And when was the 1st copy published?

Ta

Toastee

Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it was started by games workshop, but im not sure....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Some useful info
    This file just lists some "important" dates and issues in the history of White Dwarf.
    #1 is published in June/July 1977. The full title is "White Dwarf, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Games Magazine". The magazine is the direct succesor of "Owl and Weasel", which first appeared in February 1975 and died with #25 in April 1977. According to Ian Livingstone, one of the founders of Games Workshop, the name White Dwarf was chosen because it refers to fantasy (a Dwarf is a Tolkienesque character) but also to science fiction (a white dwarf is a dense star). 4000 copies are printed.
    #7 (June/July 197 has the first color cover. The full title is changed to "White Dwarf, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Games and Miniatures Magazine".
    #31 (June/July 1982) changes its full title again to "White Dwarf, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Games Magazine".
    From #32 (August 1982) on, White Dwarf appears monthly.
    #39 (March 1983) has a new cover logo and changes its title to "The Role Playing Games Monthly White Dwarf".
    #78 (June 1986) mentions GW in its title: "Games Workshop presents White Dwarf the Role Playing Games Monthly".
    #82 (October 1986): At the height of its popularity as a role playing magazine, Games Workshop announces its own role playing game, Warhammer FRP.
    #88 (April 1987) again has a new title: "Games Workshop Role Playing Monthly White Dwarf".
    #90 (June 1987) is the anniversary issue. White Dwarf exists 10 years!
    #93 (September 1987) has the very last AD&D article in the history of White Dwarf.
    #100 (May 198 has the new "mettalic" cover logo and the full title is: "Games Workshop present their monthly games magazine White Dwarf". From now on, White Dwarf is devoted exclusively to in-house Games Workshop games.
    #164 (August 1993) bears the new title "Games Workshop presents its monthly hobby supplement White Dwarf".
    #167 (November 1993) has the title "Games Workshop presents its monthly hobby supplement and miniatures catalogue White Dwarf".
    I found this info at http://users.visi.net/~templar/WD/WDindex.html I never knew it was so old!!!!
    My blog - http://wingsofsanguinius.blogspot.com
    Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't managed 500 posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the GW part but i remember the magazine used to be pretty much entirely RPG based.

Had a pretty much complete collection from about issue 40 to issue 120ish which i threw away 8 or 9 years ago before Ebay was around.

I wonder how much they'd be worth?

Neverwhere,London, United Kingdon of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about that. :ph34r:

Did the same to my copies of Dragon Magazines...lol
    Whoso would be a man must be a non conformist
    People should be taught what is, not what should be.

Closed Thread