Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I love battle reports! Or should I say loved?
Battle Reports now consist of BIG PICTURES with a little bit of text squeezed in saying how in turns 1-6 many things happened but eventually the new army won.
OK so that was a bit exaggerated, but I really haven't enjoyed any of the recent battle reports, and the rest of the mag hasn't been any better! (and that's coming from a Tau player!)
What I like to see in a good battle report.
- A picture of the whole battlefield after deployment so we can see things and understand how they pan out, and see cool terrain, and after that just the odd small pic of small sections/cool models fighting each other, and battle maps.
- Players using their own armies
- Descriptions of tactics used
- PLEASE, the report written by the players themselves, on a turn by turn basis. "Then my assassin failed to wound AGAIN! with triple 1!" is much more interesting than: "Then Gareth failed to kill the men at arms, and lost the combat."
My favourite battle reports: (Sorry I don't know the white dwarf numbers)
Tournament Grudge match: 40K Iron Warriors v Space Wolves
Both players were using their own armies which were nicely painted, and they both talked alot avout their tactics.
Lizards First Battle Report: Fantasy Lizards v Skaven
Ok so predictably the Lizzies won, but it was great reading Gareth's attempts at blowing the slann up, pouncing on a scar vet with his assassin, and desperately trying to keep his Greyseer alive, and actually manage a spell.
Both of the above are quite a long time ago!
So what are your favourite battle reports, why? and why are the new ones bad in your opinion? How good they be made better etc. If anyone likes the new battle reports, say so, but you may cause me to set off on another long rant...
My favourite owuld have to have been the first ever Carnage or soemthing battle report between Black Templars, Chaos, White Scars and Eldar. The Thirster kileld like everything.
Several! I just can't remember them all :blush:
Well, one I do remember is where an Empire regiment makes a last stand against Skaven. The manlings are doomed - they will actually die to a man - but they try to take as many Skaven as possible with them. In my opinion both the battle and the report are vivid and interesting - with a real twist at the end!
Oh yes, another was where Tau faced SM (Dark Angels, I think), I think it might have been the inaugural battle for Tau. Even if the Tau victory was "expected", I think the battle was interesting and the batrep well written.
Yet another one was where Vampire Counts met Skaven. This was the (in)famous battle where skavenslaves managed to kill a Black Coach!
A, those were the days my friend...
But now they're all set up instead of the good old days (Well a couple of years to me) when the battles weren't set up and mostly came down ot hte last roll.
Does anyone remember the WH vs SW 13th where the WH had to kill the characters? WD292 I think.
The player Andy Hoare instead of just hiding his hero he pushed him into combat wit hsomething that came down to the last roll. I enjoy battles where you don't think about winning, more the heroism and the valour that you send your men to fight something they might not really beat.
I liked the report suf mentioned with DA marines vs tau and also nids vs tau
and although tau won both and i ahte commies, they were still good.
they way saywer did the reps was perfect and the only rep that i like recently was the battle in uk316 w/ the four giants but i have to say, although there reps have decreased in quality, there new painting guides are great!
That's only if you have the models. I remember the old WD's had tonnes of info but now they have at least 10 pages of upcoming models.
The latest WD has 21 pages of upcoming and buying. It was 102 pages long without the Medusa booklet attached so its about 20% devoted to buying and new realeses. Now you cant be telling me that this WD will eb full of interesting info.
I too have noticed a recent decline in the quality of Battle Reports. I know they used to be what I'd first turn to, but now they all seem kinda meh. The goal IMHO has moved away from showing an interesting, close battle, to a showcase of the latest and greatest models. The last time a new army has lost was all the way back in 285 where Beasts of Chaos lost to Wood Elves. Otherwise the new army always wins (which I suppose is to be expected but it would be nice if the other army would pull off an upset for once.) Though I didn't mind the one where WE's beat the Orcs; I thought that was fairly interesting.
I dislike the newers formats as well, where they have a zoomed in, obscured view of the battlefield. I much prefer it when they have an overhead view with boxes representing units and what not, and arrows showing where they are moving and assualting to/from. The best format as far as I'm concerned is that of a far out view of the actual battlefield, showing where all the units are, arrows and what-not. Something akin to when Warhammer Fantasy 6th edition was coming out. That was the best and most visually appealing.
As for favourite battles theres probably too many to name. Some that really stand out are:
- The 2 Carnage Reports (though I preferred the second with Tyranids/Chaos/Orks/Dark Angels. Just a bit more variation than the Marine dominated first one.)
- "Big Toof River" where the Praetorians defended against the Orks.
- The 2 issue Armageddon (sp?) Mega-Battles where there was that simply magnificent giant board. I also like how both sides managed to achieve some victories, unlike the relatively worse Eye of Terror Mega-Battles.
- Necrons vs. Dark Angels. Nothing that was particuarily astounding about the report at first glance (no intorduction of a new army) but it was quite entertaining and close throughout.
That's about all I have to say. For now...
Yeah, I know what you mean. Battle Reports really suck nowadays, which I don't like because they used to be my main reason for buying White Dwarf.
My favorite Battle Reports, though, huh? Hmm...
- Carnage with Chaos/Black Templars/Ulthwe/White Scars
- Historical Refight with Ultramarines vs. Tyranids (during early 3rd edition. Even before the Tyranids got their own Codex!)
- White Scars vs. Black Legion in a bunker assault (early, early 3rd edition)
Those are all that I can think of at the moment...