UK WD 326- a whole lotta LOTR - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

UK WD 326- a whole lotta LOTR

Just received delivery of UK White Dwarf 326- Feb 2007.

If you are not a fan of LotR its probably not for you. Its packed with stuff about the Ruin of Arnor including a battle report, pages and pages on the instore lotr campaign to accompany the book, stuff about the new minis and a painting guide of the new minis.

Barely any 40k stuff beyond a few pics of some Dark Angels stuff and a tactica about using reserves- i have a feeling next issue is going to be 40k heavy as its all about the DAs

WHFB is again not really covered although there is a nice article on the provinces of the empire- and the centre has a teaser advert for the Nemesis Crown summer campaign extravaganza.

Not a bad issue, but nothing to get too excited about

PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Theobold the Lame View Post
    If you are not a fan of LotR its probably not for you. Its packed with stuff about the Ruin of Arnor including a battle report, pages and pages on the instore lotr campaign to accompany the book, stuff about the new minis and a painting guide of the new minis.
    It's the same in Canada. I don't know WHO is buying LOTR, but I never see anyone with it or buying it? I see no one with it the tourneys, and I hear no one talk about it other than the negative.....

Does anyone play it? GW should admit defeat and cut it's losses IMO.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I'll be picking up the Uk one anyway because I'm looking forward to the WFB article on the Empire Provinces. Will be useful to know the most obscure and weird province to paint up when I get my hands on some empire troops.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    It's the same in Canada. I don't know WHO is buying LOTR, but I never see anyone with it or buying it? I see no one with it the tourneys, and I hear no one talk about it other than the negative.....

Does anyone play it? GW should admit defeat and cut it's losses IMO.
    I have noticed the same thing, no one plays LOTR anymore, my shop in York tries to push it on the younger kids, but they are not interested, LOTR had its day when the films were put out but now no one cares, the game is the weakest out ot the three systems with boring, simplistic, repetitive rules and stupidly long winded games, the rules were made cynically simple to attract all the younger fans of the LOTR films and all the recent stuff jut smacks of desperation to me, GW are trying to ring every last penny they can out of the license before it dies its inevitable death.
    They paid through the nose for the license and unfortunately we are going to be lumbered with this crap game for years to come, because GW will not let it go until they recoup their investment.
    GW and White Dwarf have gone down hill badly over the last few years, I used to look forward to White Dwarf, the fluff and hobby articles were amazing when Paul Sawyer was editor but now its a rag and I have only skimmed through it when my mates bring a copy to the club or to my home because I refuse to pay good money for it and I have been depressed more every time I see it. Its a sad state of affairs.
    I think the thing that finished it for me was this sage bit of advice in WD 325 about Genestealers being vulnerable to shooting, "my advice is to give them a Broodlord, infiltrate and hug cover" sheesh its painful what about Scuttle and Ext carapice or co-ordinated assaults etc, pitiful his advice is to take one unit of Stealers with a Broodlord, what about the ones that cant how do you stop them being shot.
    Gw bring us back the WD we deserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

i agree with rikimaru, white dwarf isn't what it used to be.
    i think the problem is they just focus on the "new release" or next big new thing, and neglect everything else.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, at my last conflict tournament here in SOuth Australia, there were approx 200 players on both the fantasy and 40k tournaments, and a grand total of................TWO people in the LotR tourney originaly they only had 1 person, and gave a free ticket to the second person who had a spare LotR army there.
    Click here to take a look at my Blog! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...p?userid=19270

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

*Jumps on to hating LOTR bandwagon*

I've also rarely seen it played or bought even when the movies were coming out (which seems like an eternity ago now). The whole way they did it was rubbish, the first releases were fellowship+goblins to make Aragorn look manly. They then re-released the fellowship for every minor skirmish before finaly (years later) bringing that to a close.

Moria hacked me off no end, it had been done already when the Moria box was released, so of course we had another identical scenario with identical antagonists in a WD. Whoop-de-do. Why anyone would buy a box to play a single, lame anti-continuity scenario was beyond me.

I play 40K to create my own worlds, armies, battles and points of interest there is zero scope for that in LotR and as for the 'army lists' well a Balrog and Sauron fighting hobbits? don't remember that in the book. . .

This ought not to sound too extreme, but all LotR 'players' should have been smothered at birth.

If people couldn't be bothered to collect Gondorians, which were heavily in the book and film why the hell does GW think they'll collect Arnorians? bringing out every single race that's ever been even obliquley mentioned by the book is ludicrous. Especialy while leaving out the Huorn and bringing out Minas Tirith cavalry before the Swan Knights! Minas Tirith is famed for it's lack of cavalry having only afew stables for messengers when Gandalf was there so...

The game system is clunky and stupid at a larger level, the tactics near non-existent. Heroic moves are hardly tactical the other person does one too, and then you roll-off from what I can tell.
    Last edited by Silver Wings; January 24th, 2007 at 11:02.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a subscription, and thus had no choice in receiving said issue.

However, unless you love LOTR or collect Empire, or want the Golden Demon booklet, then save your £4 and feel very smug while having a good giggle at us poor subscribers.

This issue sucks so bad it hurts, an average issue would provided maybe 3 hours of reading over the month. This will take about 30 mins, no sh!t.

Thank god for FIREBASE!!
    "Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

apart from the fact that I buy it as a part of my insane addiction, I'll be looking forward to reading that Empire article, see how good it is compared to some of the stuff I've read online :wacko:
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny that they have lotr in the latest WD since globaly lotr is dying out. GW has had significant losses in that range, and were suposed to go back to fantasy and 40k.

I stopped buying WD uk months ago, and turned to the us version since it has better conversions:yes:
    My Primarch can beat the **** out of your Primarch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast