Friendly 500 pt BoC Warband List (looking for advice) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friendly 500 pt BoC Warband List (looking for advice)

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to start a Beasts warband (500 pt) and would like some advice on my list, since I'm just getting into the game.

I've have been working on two basic lists and several different variations of those lists, but I think I've narrowed the possibilities down to a single list.

Oh, I'm going to be fighting Wood Elves & Lizardmen most of the time.

*Slight changes after taking up Deceiver suggestion.

Wargor - 76 points - runs with Herd 1
    Great Weapon & Chaos Armour

Herd 1
    7 Gors w/two hand weapons
    11 Ungors (no shields)
    Musician

Herd 2
    7 Gors w/two hand weapons
    11 Ungors (no shields)
    Foe-render
    Musician

Tuskgor Chariot

5 Warhounds

5 Centigor
    Musician

499 points

I started off with alot of gors & ungors, but i was worried i wouldn't have enough backbone, so i made a list based on bestigors and another list centered around a chariot. I ended up going with the chariot because I felt the bestigors ate up my points too fast, but maybe I was wrong? With the chariot list I felt like i was putting all my eggs in one basket, so I tried to spread 'em out w/the centigors. I went with the centigors because I thought the other special/rare choices were too pricey or too slow (chaos spawn), although I was tempted to grab some minos just for the fear factor.

In an ambush version of the list above, I dropped two centigor for another unit of hounds (5). But I'm not sure how effective three centigor would be. If just one died, I'd have to take panic test. So I dropped the last three centigor and got a 5 gor/5 ungor Herd (making 58 model warband :yes for a dedicated ambush unit.

Well, theres my list and my reasoning (or lack or it). Any advice / criticism would be great.

Last edited by wargoat; August 6th, 2007 at 22:52.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Drop the Shields from the Centigors and add Musicians to the Centigors and Herd 2. Apart from that it looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    Drop the Shields from the Centigors and add Musicians to the Centigors and Herd 2. Apart from that it looks good.
    Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. Now to try 'em out.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

you can have 2 hand weapons or a hand weapon and shield but not heavy or great weapons on your gors.

Ambushing is not the greatest idea for a warband in my opinion. I think you'd be better off making a unit of furies or minotaurs/ogres to add some heavy hitters. Keep everything fast moving and get the charge on turn 1-2. Use the terrain to your advantage against shooty armies. (shooting is really good in warband, so try to take as few of panic tests as possible.)

The first time you play you may try that trinket that makes your opponent automatically fail their rally test, swarm them, beat them and then make them run off the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    you can have 2 hand weapons or a hand weapon and shield but not heavy or great weapons on your gors.
    I meant two hand weapons, i dunno why I wrote great weapons. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post
    Ambushing is not the greatest idea for a warband in my opinion. I think you'd be better off making a unit of furies or minotaurs/ogres to add some heavy hitters. Keep everything fast moving and get the charge on turn 1-2. Use the terrain to your advantage against shooty armies. (shooting is really good in warband, so try to take as few of panic tests as possible.)

The first time you play you may try that trinket that makes your opponent automatically fail their rally test, swarm them, beat them and then make them run off the table.
    I figured the only time I might ambush w/this list would be with the hounds against elitist warbands that have few models.

I tried to get numbers & heavy hitters in this list, but do you think that a monster warband would be better? The minos seem to be kind of expensive money & point wise (just 500 points). Most BoC warband lists I've looked at seem to be mostly Minos or just about all Gor & Ungor.

Should I drop the centigor (edit: or maybe a herd) for a unit of furies? I'll play with the points later and see what happens. What is a good unit size for furies? Just glancing over the pros & cons of furies vs. centigor, it seems that the furies can give this list some balance with being flyers, fear causing & having magical attacks. Although I'll miss the prospect of frenzied centigors on the charge (probably wouldn't happen very often anyway).
    Last edited by wargoat; August 7th, 2007 at 00:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I'm back w/some changes to the list.

I took out the centigors & added in five chaos furies. I think most people take eight in bigger games, so would just five do alright in warbands? I have no clue, but five furies leaves me with sixty points left & I really didn't know what to do with them, so I made an ambush herd.

wargor - runs with herd 1 -
    great weapon & chaos armour

herd 1
    7 gors with two handed weapons
    11 ungors without shields
    musician

herd 2
    7 gors with two handed weapons
    11 ungors without shields
    musician
    foe render

herd 3 - ambush herd -
    5 gors with two handed weapons
    5 ungors without shields
    musician

tuskgor chariot

5 warhounds

5 chaos furies

500 points

I like this list a little bit better because there are more units & mobility to threaten opponents with. I'm just not sure if my units are strong enough, 5 hounds, 5 furies, 1 chariot, maybe I'm spread too thin over too many unit types?

How does this list compare to the classic "herd, herd & mino" (usually 3, i believe) list?

thanks for the tips & info guys, I appreciate 'em.
    Last edited by wargoat; August 8th, 2007 at 03:27.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

This list looks good. It lacks some serious hitting power, but this is only 500points so you should be ok. Also you have a good number of different units, look like a good list. Id say solid list, but the Ld could make then vulnerable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It lacks some serious hitting power, but this is only 500points so you should be ok.
    Cool. Isn't that how beastmen are supposed to operate anyway? Many threats, none of which really stand out above the rest? Thats the way I understand them at the moment, but then again this warband will be my first experience w/BoC.

I'm just worried that if I went with a monster warband, my key unit would get shot down (stupid skinks ) or shut down, as its kind of a "one trick pony." I don't really know though, thats my newbish view on the subject.

Id say solid list, but the Ld could make then vulnerable.
    Yes, but theres not alot I can about that, unless I make a bloodkine the leader (unit champions can lead in warband rules), but that would lead to a radically different mino list. And even then, the herds probably wouldn't benefit from his leadership that often.

grammar edit .

* I'm just gonna add on to this post as it hasn't been very long since I made it.

I've been reading that chariots will slow down your army, is that because they have to move around difficult terrain? Wouldn't minos suffer from this as well?

Tonight has proven to be pretty boring, so I've been messing around with the points trying to squeeze something else out of it. I wrote down all units that I thought were vital, namely...

wargor [great weapon, chaos armour]
    herds x2 [7 gors/11 ungors, 2 musicians, 1 foe-render]
    furies [5]
    hounds [5]

all that equals 355 points, leaving 145 unused.

Some possibilities using the left over points are...

1) Chariot / Herd [5 gors/5 ungors, musician]
    2) Bestigors [11, musician] + 1 hound
    3) Centigor [5, shields, musician] + 1 hound
    4) Minos [3, great weapons, light armour]
    5) Fiend of Slaanesh / [5 gors/5 ungors, musician] + 1 hound

Theres just so many options its crazy, I love it...& hate it as I can't settle down on a list.

** As of right now, I think I'm going to start off with the second list. Its cheaper money wise and I'll start playing some variations of it as I collect models along the way. Sorry to be ADD about it. I really appreciate the suggestions & advice.
    Last edited by wargoat; August 14th, 2007 at 05:24.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

who are you going to be playing mostly? I just remember the last warband stuff we had - a newb dwarf player with a bunch of handgunners won the day because he wiped the field with bullets and caused panic tests. If you still had the 60points, another wargor with grt weapon (or sword of might or something) would be a cheap way of adding some more power to the army.

That's the thing in Warbands is that there is not a lot of room for anything. Armies that have a lot of cheap units or shooty units usually win. Whereas armies that have a lot of expensive elite stuff have a hard time winning. (magic is nil)

The chariot can't march - so in that way he could slow you down (it does have a longer range charge though and would add some much needed strength to your attacks on the charge) I like my minos in larger armies, but I think the furies may better suit you in warband, Their rules are really good for small games (fear, ward save, immune to psych, flying)
    They can take out any warmachines or shooters early on ususally which means there will be less panic in your army hopefully until you can charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should be fighting wood elves and lizardmen most of the time. The WE player told me that he is going to try to field mostly cavalry. The lizzie list looks like 24 skinks, 15 saurus, a sally hunting pack and a cheap scarvet to lead them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast