NEW BEASTMEN - 2250 points :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

NEW BEASTMEN - 2250 points :)

G'day,

Read through the book today and have a good idea of the kind of list I'm looking for. Here's one I wrote up:

L - Great Bray Shaman
    Level 4, 2x powerstone, fetish of something (pick a unit in 24, re-roll failed to wounds during this magic phase), 2x Hand weapon

H - Bray Shaman
    Level 2, Hunter's Spear (24 inch bolt thrower)

H - Wargor
    Shield, HA, Great Weapon, Horn of the First Beast (all units in 36 re-roll primal fury)

C - 18x Gors
    Full Command

C - 10x Gor (ambush)

C - 10x Ungors

C - 10x Ungor (Ambush)

C - 5x Ungor Raiders

C - 5x Ungor Raiders

C - Chariot

C - Chariot

S - 5x Minotaurs
    2x Hand Weapon, Standard

S - 2x Razorgor

S - 8x harpies
    Scout

R - Cygor

R - Cygor

TOTAL - 2250

Last edited by timk1111; January 19th, 2010 at 12:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

A bray can throw a spear 24"!? hmm... not sure what i make of that

Also definitely dislike the Gor/Ungor split...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

The spear is a weapon, so any character can have it - though all beastmen have the same BS, so take your pick. I just love a Chaos list that has 2 stone throwers (Cygor) and a bolt thrower

As for the Gor and Ungor, I feel like a big part of what I liked about beastmen (the Raiders rule) has been lost, but they can still ambush and can hit damn hard. I'm liking the look of the 'march to war' style Beastmen, and no more time wasting ranking up all those damn skermishers

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

L - Great Bray Shaman
    Level 4, 2x powerstone, HAGTREE fetish 2x Hand weapon

H - Bray Shaman
    Level 2, Hunter's Spear (24 inch bolt thrower)I don't like this because it uses up the entire magic item alotment and only works 25% of the time (by the time you factor in most things like long range, in cover, etc. I think you'd be better off taking Staff of Darkoth (viletide bound spell to eat flyers, fastcav and low toughness/armor infantry) It will be much more effective than the spear. If you want a bolt thrower, get the Hunter's spear spell from the lore of beasts.

H - Wargor
    Shield, HA, Great Weapon, Horn of the First Beast (all units in 36 re-roll primal fury)

C - 18x Gors
    Full Command

C - 10x Gor (ambush) I think the ambush rules are now so much more reliable (not that they were reliable before, but at least you had a 50%+ chance of coming in close to where you wanted) that I would rather have all my guys on the board to start. If you're concerned about getting guys to the enemy quickly, I'd drop some of those ambushers and get hounds. Yes their leadership is subpar (as is the rest of the army) but they move much faster, are way cheaper than a gor and have WS4. They'll hunt warmachines quite well if you ask me.

C - 10x Ungors I'd drop these for just plain skirmisher ungors. I can't think of a reason to take the regular ungors. You'll never hit or wound anything with them, and if you need rank denying units, hounds are still better if you ask me. Although, you probably want your Cygors on the flank as long as you've got them. Of course with their poor toughness and no save, there's a good chance your cygors will die if they get into combat.

C - 10x Ungor (Ambush)

C - 5x Ungor Raiders

C - 5x Ungor Raiders

C - Chariot

C - Chariot

S - 5x Minotaurs I really don't see the point in 5 minotaurs and the standard. You're better off with 2 units of 3, you're going to have to take a panic regardless if you lose one. More units means more guys will get to the line untouched or at least hopefully in strength to make some kills.
    2x Hand Weapon, Standard

S - 2x Razorgor

S - 8x harpies 8 seems a bit much, if you're not going to use that 4th special slot, you ought to get 2 units of 5 to hunt warmachines, shooters, etc.
    Scout

R - Cygor Really expensive warmachine. I'm not convinced the anti magician effects will ever really do much for you, and while the stone thrower is great, it makes this guy vulnerable to eveything under the sun. Both he and the jabberslythe both need a ward save and point drop in my opinion. I wish you lots of luck with them though.

R - Cygor
    Last edited by buckero0; January 27th, 2010 at 18:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Thanks for the reply Buck,

The thing about the second mage is when I summon a Jabber to the board via magic (which I'm pretty keen to give a go, have to try everything!) Then my magic phase is crap anyway, I thought I'd give the Shaman something he can always use - the Spear is just an extra little threat again Large Targets - it's not like I'm going to shoot Waywatchers in cover, etc...

The purpose of the Ungor unit you don't rate is just as a distraction/sacrafice unit. but more importantly lets the second unit Ambush (you need a 'mirror' unit on the board). I've tried hunting Warmachines with Hounds in my Chaos Warrior list - it just doesn't work. The maachines will be guarded by small arms fire, and there's no small arms fire Hounds stand up to.

IN regards to Ambush, I'm going to give it a go at the very least. Thing is, Ambushing in the old rules is what drew me to the Beastmen, so in this list I can do it with 3 units, see how it turns out, and it's not too many points wasted when it fails...but I can see it being pure gold when it does work.

I'm not 100% how I want to run the darn Minotaur. In my current list (I posted this a small while ago ) I'm using 4 Minos and 3 Razorgor, and since I'll have enough to make 6 when I buy them, I can only trial and error these guys. 2 units of 3 sounds interesting thoough, an extra deployment and you just double team who you want to chargee...hmmm, thanks

Twin Cygor is my anti-huge monster With the Warspear, I've got a chance against the likes of Dragons, Stegs and Greater Daemons. Also, when my Shaman Lord becomes useless, it gives me some form of magic defence. Reading through the rare section, between the Cygor, Ghorgon and Jabber, Cygor was my Fav, but I want Jabbers too, so my plan is to summon one using magic.

And though I'd LOVE to slap a Ghorgon on the table, flying monsters will out do him, and he's frenzied...so, rules kinda let him down. Jabbers though, between poisoned blood and poisoned attacks, they also have a crack at big nasties....

Sigh, too much to think about

Thanks for the reply,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I don't like the Minotaurs. Comparing them with Razorgors...I just prefer the boars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

To bad the Razor's look like Pumba from Lion King...

Hakuna Matata
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

+ Reply to Thread