Beaststar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beaststar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Beaststar

My attempt at a Beastmen deathstar army. I'm more and more convinced that the new Beastmen book more or less blows.

Doombull, general, hvy armor, extra hand weapon, crown of horns, gnarled hide
    Gorebull, bsb, hvy armor, ram horn helm, extra hand weapon
    Bray shaman, scroll x 2
    Bray shaman, eye of night

5 ungor raiders x 3
    13 minotaurs, full command, extra hand weapon
    1 cygor
    1 gorgon

4 casting, 4 dispel, 33 models

So the general, bsb, and shaman with eye of night go into minotaur unit. The general makes the minotaur unit stubborn on an 8 and the BSB lets them reroll any break tests. With the cygor and gorgon, you essentially have three immune to psych, stubborn units. The eye of night gives the unit MR 2.

The general has 7 attacks at str 6 and the BSB has 6 attacks at str 5. The unit champion would have 5 attacks at str 5, and the standard bearer would have 4 attacks at str 5. The shaman doesn't count. So that's 22 attacks at str 5 or better from the front rank, all at weapon skill 4 or above.

Raiders try and hide to claim quarters and shelter scroll shaman but give up 210 points including the shaman.

Cygor, Gorgon, Minotaurs go and smash things.

Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

the only beaststar I'd consider is7-8 hounds with a minotaur in it (probably don't need that many) With so few other units, I don't see any advantage to having a T4 no armor save minotaur unit with each mino costing over 60pts, it seems like a sure way to fail. Maybe having a couple of units of minos with champs and doombull and gorebull, but I hardly think having more than 3-4 minos in a unit is every worth it. It would be as good as having 10 chaos knights and 2 characters in it. Yeah that first rank is tough, but why would anyone charge the front rank? Just hit a flank or better yet, lure the frenzied units off and hit the big nasty unit in the rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with buckeroo. You have a big unit of auch hen it hits, but it already is frenzied. Easy to redirect, or get them stuck in a forest or something. You don't have the units to flank or screen them. Minotaurs hithard, but die pretty quickly too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I dissagree, I think this could work. I would replace both Rares with Jabbersythes though (or 2 Cygors, the list needs some method to dictate the battle flow, flyers and stone throwers can do this).

An opponent looking at this list sees... 50 T4 wounds he can't kill, 2 flying things that he can't get to, and 200 points of crap.

This list should almost always walk out with a minor win. The opponent killed some ungors, the Deathstar hosed unit X, the Jabbersythes killed some crap and didn't die, 3 table quarters contested = minor win.

If the opponent takes on the Deathstar it will be a massacre to however wins the big brawl in the middle (note that against most armies, 1 winning round of combat is enough for the US50 fear causing Deathstar to carry the day). However, at only LD8, the unit is up proverbial creek without a method of mounting a horse should the BSB die. I recommend facing the flank of the Deathstar to the enemy when you suspect a charge, with the BSB hidden in saftey on the far side of the front rank and the Doomubull at the near side ready to gives some pounding (sure, you let yourself get flanked, but with the BSB alive there is only an 8% chance of a failed rout test. You only need to hold till the Jabbers get round to tip the tide.).
    Last edited by kroxigor01; February 21st, 2010 at 14:03.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    I dissagree, I think this could work. I would replace both Rares with Jabbersythes though (or 2 Cygors, the list needs some method to dictate the battle flow, flyers and stone throwers can do this).

An opponent looking at this list sees... 50 T4 wounds he can't kill, 2 flying things that he can't get to, and 200 points of crap.

This list should almost always walk out with a minor win. The opponent killed some ungors, the Deathstar hosed unit X, the Jabbersythes killed some crap and didn't die, 3 table quarters contested = minor win.

If the opponent takes on the Deathstar it will be a massacre to however wins the big brawl in the middle (note that against most armies, 1 winning round of combat is enough for the US50 fear causing Deathstar to carry the day). However, at only LD8, the unit is up proverbial creek without a method of mounting a horse should the BSB die. I recommend facing the flank of the Deathstar to the enemy when you suspect a charge, with the BSB hidden in saftey on the far side of the front rank and the Doomubull at the near side ready to gives some pounding (sure, you let yourself get flanked, but with the BSB alive there is only an 8% chance of a failed rout test. You only need to hold till the Jabbers get round to tip the tide.).
    Until you run into an army with decent magic or shooting. Jabberslythes are terrible against anything with shooting, they have to get close to do any damage, and so what if you kill one skink, there are 9 more just waiting to blast you away. cygor can at least stay out of range and lob stuff at the enemy. The gorghon can defect str 4 better and has more wounds. Anything with bolt throwers or cannons will eat 2-3 minos a turn. By default, deathstars rarely get but one charge a game, because everything flees from them. Just hit the enemy from the flank that doesn't have the doombull. Most dueling characters can take the bsb on.
    Magic has gotten so ridiculous now that it will eat through 2 scrolls easily. Chalice will help, but I'd prefer to have many targets so that the enemy can't possiblly get everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

That is the beauty of the list. If there happens to be to much shooting, deploy both monsters >2" in a forest. Auto-draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basicly, a list that won't win because your big unit that can kill everything on the table, won't kill everything on the table, and deny every other point you have.
    An army that won't really win much, and won't really loose much.. *caugh* dwarfs *caugh*

Anyway, try it out, and post your result. I'm very curious how it did.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Heck, I won't be trying it out, unless I used empty bases. It's a gimmick list as I was trying to think of what would be a "Deathstar" list for Beasts. I've played against a WoC army like this that used chaos ogres. The block was nasty, but easy to maneuver around, shoot up, and then decide how to engage at the game's end. This list would do okay in certain situations and poorly in others.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye of night

Eye of night only gives the bearer (the shaman) MR2, like a lot of items in the BM book it's not as great as it first seems.

-Asylum

+ Reply to Thread